Options
2»

Comments

• Jamin
    Jamin
    Community Member
    Options

@sinister
    I haven't been able to duplicate this either. Have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling as well as connecting your device to iTunes. Some times there can be left over files from updates and since there's no way to get rid of them except by connecting to iTunes or doing a nuke and pave (who wants to do the latter unless they have to). To me it seems there's a left over corrupt file that's giving you this problem. Would be nice if Apple gave us a trash can like in OS X to get rid of useless files. Especially since most iOS users do not connect their devices to a computer to clean their device. Hope this helps.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

The first time that you tap the home button, it's unlocking because you are putting your finger, which is registered for Touch ID, on the home button and Touch ID is reading your fingerprint and unlocking 1Password. Note that you said you have the Touch ID screen up when this happens, and you're touching the home button with your finger, this is all that's required for Touch ID to register. The click you're making on the home button is simply too late. The click happens after Touch ID says "Hey, that's a valid finger print" and 1Password starts to unlock. The home button click is then ignored by the OS and 1Password unlocks.

You have an iPhone 6S, which has the new Touch ID sensor and one of the improvements was ~50% faster recognition of your finger print.

It's not unlocking because you're doing nothing at all, it's unlocking because you've unlocked with Touch ID. I'll bet if you do this with a finger that is NOT registered with Touch ID it won't happen this way. I'm betting because we have had another customer ask this exact same question in the past and had confirmed the same thing. I'd love to have you try it though and report back. To test this you should use a finger that is not registered in Settings > Touch ID & Passcode under the "Fingerprints" section.

I'm not sure what's going on with the second issue where it's going to master password, as I still cannot reproduce that. Annoying I can live with, security issues I cannot. So if you can at least confirm that the above issue only happens with a registered finger print then that will ease my mind.

The reason I say this is because we are currently rewriting all of our locking features from scratch and I hope some of these odder annoyance bugs will go away when we rewrite it all. But I am interested in Security issues as those need to be fixed sooner rather than later.

• Jamin
    Jamin
    Community Member
    Options

@Sinister
    I got only master password nothing else I wasn't able to get back in without it. I tried closing the app and reopening it and still the same asking for master password. Must be a security thing. Not sure why yours is allowing you to get right back in the first time without either.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jamin: Indeed, it will depend on your security settings. Under "Touch ID", it will tell you the circumstances where your Master Password will be required based on your settings. I hope this helps! :)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Sinister

If you exit the app and the prompt is up that's due to some iOS bug that's causing that I think. The Touch ID dialog should only appear while the app itself is open and if it's somehow appearing outside of that then I'm afraid there is something potentially wrong happening there. This could explain some of the weirdness you are seeing. Unfortunately, I am also unable to duplicate this but have heard a few users say it has happened to them.

I suspect that if you are somehow exiting the app and Touch ID is still up, and if you put your finger to the sensor and it unlocks, going back into 1Password will "complete" the unlock process. It can't unlock in the background so it'll do so after you return.

Seems that the trick to fixing this is to try to find a way to prevent the Touch ID prompt from displaying outside the app. Again, no clue if this is something on our side or not, but it sure seems like a bug that might be outside our control. Just for some background information, we do not display that dialog. We request it from iOS. Basically "Hey, iOS, can you please ask for Touch ID now and do this after you get a response from the user?" And so, iOS will display the prompt, and then once it gets a response from the user (yes, or no) it'll either try to unlock or not unlock, depending on the response back from iOS.

In other words, we don't display that and have very little control over what it does. We can set a couple of attributes on that dialog (like adding another button to it for a particular purpose) and generally asking it to display itself. So far as I can tell though we can't tell it to dismiss itself. Once it's up, it's up to iOS to handle removing the dialog from display. So, in my eyes, if it's somehow showing when the app is not open then two things are happening that shouldn't:

1. The app should not be exitable while Touch ID is displayed
    2. The Touch ID prompt should not be shown outside of the app

I think #2 is a result of #1

As for the cancel button, I presume that you're tapping it in the case of #2 above, yes?

What I'd like to have you do is instead of tapping the home button to exit the app while Touch ID is being prompted, use the cancel button first. Does it behave properly now?

For your suggestion, I'm afraid that we're at a disagreement on that. You have to keep in mind the security side of things. We can't "ALWAYS" allow Touch ID. We do have to properly handle situations where we need to force lock. For instance:

1. If a user types in the wrong Master Password, this will force entry of the Master Password before Touch ID can be used again
    2. If Touch ID reports an error, we will lock 1Password and require the Master Password
    3. If Touch ID unlock fails 3 times we will lock 1Password and require the Master Password

Tapping cancel, with your particular set of settings though, should always show the Master Password + Touch ID (as an option) screen. Again, I presume you're having issues because of the exited app situation while Touch ID visible thing. I'd love if you could try the above steps and never exit the app while Touch ID is visible to see if that starts making things behave properly. If it does, we'll have at least narrowed down the scope of the problem and I can do some more research to see what our options are.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@sinister thank you for the detailed feedback and explaining the reasoning behind your suggestion. It's always good to know what people would like to see from 1Password and why :)

ref: OPI-3376

This discussion has been closed.