1Password Chrome Extension and "Refresh required" prompt

Options
CowboyJoe
CowboyJoe
Community Member
edited June 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

As an engineer and developer, I use Chrome extensively.
And I'm damn sick of 1Password Chrome Extension on Mac.
I can bear the fact that there is no native integration with Linux.
If this is not fixed soon, it will be "sayonara" 1Password.

When it is not missing either username or password, it requires refresh to work

This issue is only on Chrome, but I can't imagine any serious internet user using Safari unless you want to use Firefox which is slow in my opinion.

Please get this fixed.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.7.1
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iClod

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey, @CowboyJoe. I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. Let's set aside filling issues for the moment. (If you're having issues on specific sites, please let us know the URLs so we can take a look, particularly if the general tips fail to help.)

The "Refresh required" prompt is honestly something I have never seen before. I can absolutely see how this would be annoying. I expect 1Password to just work and you should too. I am having some trouble finding information on this though. The most I could find in searching for the message is this page that lists the message for translators. So, I'm not sure why this message is popping up. My first suggestion would be to simply delete the extension from Chrome and then install fresh from our website

If you still have trouble after that, I'm wondering if perhaps you launch Chrome with any command line flags that could impact extensions' availability or something like that. This is a bit of a reach, but given I work on the browser extension every day and this is the first time I've seen this prompt, I'm trying to think of what might be different with your setup that could cause the issue.

Cheers!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @CowboyJoe. I just wanted to follow up on this. I asked several of the team members that use Chrome and they said they've never seen this prompt either. I use Chrome for my extension development work, so I refresh my extension probably 100 times per day. I thought that might have prevented me seeing such a prompt, so I wanted to get some outside input. One of our team is on Canary and the others are on the stable channel and none of them has seen it. All of that is to say that this is a pretty strange situation, but I wanted you to know I did discuss it with the team to see if this was just something I don't usually see because I do my normal browsing in Safari and my development work on the extension in Chrome where I run it unpacked.

• CowboyJoe
    CowboyJoe
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks JXPX.

I have removed, deleted cache and reinstalled this several times.
    Not on one machine, but on Macbook and iMac.
    The simple truth is that the smooth transition you expect and see from 1Password on Safari and Firefox is completely not obtainable on Chrome as far as my experience with it goes.

I'm unable to grep out the reason via the systems log.
    If you could tell me where 1Password logs are located, I may try to see if I could find and fix the cause or send it to you for further analysis.

Again, thanks!

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @CowboyJoe. Our logs are stored in ~/Library/Logs/1Password for the version from our web store. For the Mac App Store, there are two locations: ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx/Data/Library/Logs/1Password/ and ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Logs/1Password/ The -helper logs have more to do with the browser extensions, so I would start there.

I'm asking around to see if anyone has seen this before. So far, I've only gotten reports of folks that use Chrome all day and have never seen anything like it.

Can you also let us know what version of Chrome you're using and which update channel—stable, beta, canary or something else? Perhaps there's something peculiar about your particular version or channel that could point us in the right direction.

Another idea that someone on the team had was to look at your system's resources when you see this prompt. Is the available free memory low or is memory pressure high?

• dplatonoff
    dplatonoff
    Community Member
    Options

As an engineer and developer, I appreciate it when people... exhibit humility and patience. Like the 1Password support folks do.

Also, engineers and developers are usually good at googling. Like finding stuff in opensource projects. The results of this search give us two things:
    1. It is indeed a Chrome message.
    2. It has a IDS_EXTENSION_BLOCKED_ACTION_BUBBLE_CONTENT message tag, which we can also search for.

Digging into Chrome a little further, the likely scenario is that the extension is disabled by default and needs explicit user permission to run.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I hate to ask, but why does @CowboyJoe state, " I can't imagine any serious internet user using Safari"? Why is Chrome so superior?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dplatonoff: Thanks for the info! I encountered that once in the past and assumed it was a Chrome bug triggered by my tab addiction (don't judge me!) :lol:

@odysseus: Chrome has better web standards support in a few areas and some nice security and web development features. Safari is great too though, and I tend to use it for everyday browsing — mainly for responsiveness and energy efficiency.

But as with most things like this (Mac v. Windows, iOS v. Android, etc.) it really comes down to personal preference. I'm glad we have so many solid web browsers to choose from nowadays, because I remember the Dark Ages of the early 2000s... :dizzy:

• CowboyJoe
    CowboyJoe
    Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Good-evening.

Thank you so much @jxpx777 for pointing me to the right direction and for others, for your contribution.

This is what I know I have seen so far.

Facts:

1. This is happening on two machines running: OS X 10.11.5 | Chrome 51.0.2704.79 (64-bit) | 1Password 6.3 (Mac App Store). If this is on just one machine, I would have said that it is a localized issue.

2. It doesn't matter if the application is downloaded from App store or via AgileBits website. The result remain the same.

3. And nope, the extension is not disabled by default nor does it require any other permission to run than the default sets. In fact, this started just 2 weeks ago and I have been using 1Password for quite a while.

4. For @odysseus, you must forgive me for my presumptuousness; you asked a reasonable question. I generalized and 99.999% of the time, generalizations often tend to be wrong. I ought to have said that as a matter of personal preference. To me, Safari sucks! It is more like comparing a soccer mom Volvo (Safari) to Ferrari (Chrome).

Error Log:

Saw many of these from ~/Library/Containers/$SomeRandomNumber.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Logs/1Password/$SomeRandomNumber.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper.log

Error 1:
    "Not starting discoveryd monitor because user is running OS X 10.10.4 or later"

Uhmmmm ... nope. Pretty sure I'm running this: OS X 10.11.5 (El Capitan). Your insight will be more than helpful. If there is something I'm missing or ought to take a look at, please do let me know.

Error 2:
    Error Domain=GCDAsyncSocketErrorDomain Code=1 "Attempting to accept while connected or accepting connections. Disconnect first." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Attempting to accept while connected or accepting connections. Disconnect first.}

It worth mentioning that this is both wired and wifi.

Thank you and have a great evening!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CowboyJoe,

I don't know how quickly the issue presents itself but does it occur in a freshly created Chrome profile where you only have the 1Password Chrome Extension installed? I don't have any firsthand experience but I'm aware of a category of extensions that seem to manipulate extensions, tabs etc. in terms of low level manipulation to free up resources and I'm just wondering if maybe there is an extension you use that is having an unintended side-effect. Given Chrome will sync extensions if you sign into Chrome it seems a not entirely implausible explanation. I know little about your setup so I thought I'd ask, see if it's a possibility.

The first message can be ignored. There were a couple of versions of OS X that used discoveryd instead of mDNSResponder before Apple returned to the previous effort. So the discoveryd monitor isn't needed unless you're running very specific versions of OS X and El Cap is past this period of transition.

The second message I'm unsure of but could be related, it's hard to say at the moment. It looks like an extract of the complete message that would report what subsystem it related to.

This discussion has been closed.