Wi-Fi Sync and secondary vaults

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Wifi Sync 2nd & 3rd vaults not working.

Comments

• gorbag
    gorbag
    Community Member

Brent, I have a similar problem, but I'm using 1Password for Mac, where the Wifi setup expressly allows me to share all of my vaults. I'm not sure what the point of that is, if I can't then sync the secondary vaults to my iOS devices? For me, that negates the point of having a secondary vault - deciding which vault to share with which device.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gorbag: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a discussion in the Mac category of the forums since you're referring to that version of 1Password.

While 1Password for Mac supports multiple vaults with Wi-Fi Sync, 1Password for iOS only supports multiple vaults with the Pro Features upgrade.

But it sounds like you're looking for a way to only sync a secondary vault, excluding the Primary. This isn't possible with 1Password's database architecture (and consequently with the way Wi-Fi Sync works), but it's certainly something we can consider for a future version.

In the mean time, while the Primary vault must be sync'd, you can choose which (if any) secondary vaults are included in Wi-Fi Sync. I know it isn't exactly what you're asking for, but you could easily move your data from Primary to a secondary vault and then exclude that secondary vault from sync if you wanted to keep it off of certain devices.

• gorbag
    gorbag
    Community Member

Hi Brent, thanks. Yes, I am using the Pro version of 1Password of iOS. I'm fine with having to sync the primary and only some secondary vaults (rather than only a secondary). What's confusing to me, is like the OP in the other thread, when I look at my sync options, the Primary vault is set up to sync over wi-fi, while the secondary vaults say "set up syncing" which when activated only allow the Dropbox option (no wifi, no iCloud). On the Mac, I have the wifi server running for all vaults, and the confusing part to me is I'm pretty sure at some point the secondary vault(s) did sync to the phone because I can't imagine how else it got there; I certainly didn't type the passwords in - but they are at this point out of date so I imagine some iOS version upgrade broke it and I only noticed recently.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gorbag: Ah, I understand! Thank you! You're saying that 1Password for iOS gives the impression that a single secondary vault can be sync'd, when that's not really possible. I'm having trouble coming up with a clear alternative though. Let me know what you think!

I'm also sorry to hear that something happened to stop your vaults from syncing in the first place. I'm not sure what could have caused that to happen, but the good news is that you should be able to pick up right where you left off if you setup sync with them again. Just backup your data first in case the age of the vault causes any conflicts.

• gorbag
    gorbag
    Community Member

Brenty, thanks again. What I did was move everything from my secondary vaults back to the primary vault since that can be synced over wifi to iOS. I'm not so sure I understand the purpose of the secondaries if they don't sync with devices (except, maybe with dropbox), but never mind. Now, how do I delete these now superfluous secondary vaults?

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brenty, thanks again. What I did was move everything from my secondary vaults back to the primary vault since that can be synced over wifi to iOS. I'm not so sure I understand the purpose of the secondaries if they don't sync with devices (except, maybe with dropbox), but never mind.

@gorbag: Thanks for the update! If you can live without secondary vaults, I'd recommended it since that's just easier to manage, organizationally. Secondary vaults are most useful in situations where it is necessary to separate data — for example, work/personal, or if you want to share it with another person, but don't want them to have all of your own data as well.

Now, how do I delete these now superfluous secondary vaults?

In 1Password for Mac, select the vault you want to delete from the 1Password menu, then you can select Delete (vault name) Vault from the 1Password menu to remove it. Just repeat that for each one. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.