Strange glitch with multiple Google accounts

I have four different Google accounts on my Primary keychain, one of which is my work account. My company also shares a 1P keychain which includes a shared Google account (training@ mycompany).

I use Safari for my work Google account. When Google occasionally asks me to re-authenticate I'll see a login screen with the correct account shown (my work account) and a blank for the password. When I auto-fil from 1P, instead of staying logged into my work account I am logged into the training account instead. This is confusing since the login screen was specifically for my own account.

If I switch to just using my Primary keychain then I am able to juggle multiple Google accounts without any issues. If all keychains are selected then the problem is 100% reproducible.

This isn't the end of the world since I have a workaround but it is annoying and inconvenient. Do you have any suggestions other than my workaround? If you'd like more diagnostic info I'd be happy to provide it. I'm a developer myself and I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty. Just let me know what you'd like to see.

Thanks!

--mkb

1Password Version: 6.3 (630032)
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:google

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mkb,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble signing into a specific Google account with 1Password!

That's a really strange issue, so just to make sure I understand: This happens when Google shows you a user account and asks you to enter your password for that account (i.e. the password field is the only field on that page which can be filled). You open the 1Password extension, see a list with multiple Login items for Google, and you choose the one that matches the username Google is showing on that page. The password is filled in and submitted, but then you're actually signed into a different account than the one Google showed on the previous page. Is that all correct?

If the only field 1Password needs to fill on that page is the password, I don't know how it could be signing you into a different account because 1Password isn't filling a username/email field on that page. Even if you chose the wrong Login item (for a different Google account), the website should just give you an error saying the password is incorrect. I haven't been able to reproduce this problem, so if it sounds like I'm doing something differently than you are, please let us know.

Does the same problem happen if you specifically choose to log out of your account first and then try to sign in again? Or does it only seem to happen when Google occasionally asks you to re-authenticate?

The next time you're prompted to re-enter your password for that Google account, instead of having 1Password fill the password field, please try copying/pasting the password (from the same Login item you would have selected normally). Does the same problem happen, or does that sign you into the right account?

Thanks in advance! :)

• Yes, your second paragraph describes my experience with one exception. Rather than seeing a list of options, 1P auto-fills and submits when I hit the key to bring it up. Presumably the URLs associated with the various accounts are different.

And yes, it's very mysterious that with only the password field to fill, I still wind up logged into the wrong account. I suspect at least part of the issue is on Google's side.

Yes, if I log out completely I still get the same behavior. The only way I can log into the correct account is if I disable the shared vault.

I may have tried manual copy/paste of the password before but I'll give it a try next time I am prompted.

Is there any other information I can provide?

Thanks,

--mkb

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @mkb!

Rather than seeing a list of options, 1P auto-fills and submits when I hit the key to bring it up.

Are you clicking the 1Password extension icon or using the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut? If you click the extension, it should always open the extension/mini window and show your matching Login items, even if there's only 1. But if there's only 1 matching Login item and you use the keyboard shortcut, it will automatically fill the web form instead of opening the extension/mini window.

It sounds like you're using the keyboard shortcut (but please let us know if I'm wrong about that). If so, and it doesn't show you a list of Login items before filling your password, that seems to imply there's only 1 matching Login item in the vault currently selected in 1Password. To test that, sign out of the Google account again to get back to the page that asks for your password. Then click on the 1Password extension icon in Chrome. How many of your Login items for Google are shown there? If there's only 1, does it have an option to click to see the others?

Do you normally use the All Vaults view in 1Password? Or do you view a specific vault? If you launch the main 1Password app, the vault shown in the top-left corner will be the same one the browser extension/mini is currently using to fill Logins on websites. Which Logins for your various Google accounts are in the vault/view?

Presumably the URLs associated with the various accounts are different.

Indeed, that might be a piece of the puzzle here. If you check each Login item for Google in 1Password, what is the URL for each one? Are they exactly the same or do some have different subdomains than others?

If they have different subdomains, open the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar and select the Browsers tab. Click the box next to 'Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites' to enable it (you should see a checkmark in the box once it is enabled). Now go back to the Google sign-in page and click on the 1Password extension again. Does it suggest multiple Login items this time?

I suspect at least part of the issue is on Google's side.

That sounds like it might be the case. But hopefully that will be less of an issue once we sort out things in 1Password.

Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.