Why has 1Password taken exception to having a CCC Clone HDD Macintosh Drive on the LAN?

studiotan
studiotan
Community Member

It did not have issue with secondary Safari 1Password apps appearing on the Clone drive before, so something has changed at your end.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: LAN
Referrer: forum-search:Why has 1Password taken exception to having a CCC Clone HD Macintosh Drive on the LAN?

Comments

• studiotan
    studiotan
    Community Member

To be clear -

Each time 1Password launches it sees additional 1Password Safari Apps on a Carbon Copy Clone MacintoshHD cloned drive, which has always been there and never proved an issue before.

Presently, I unmounted the CCC-HD drive but I am unable to log into 1Password main App because everything is greyed out - and a Control-Click fails to quit 1Password, meaning a reboot, unmounting of the CCC drive prior to 1Password launching automatically may work!!!!!

• studiotan
    studiotan
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

To be very clear -

What has be changed in 1Password wherein it's present version now seeks out "copies" on alternate drives from which it has not been launched?

It is something "new and improved", it doesn't work with CCC backup drives (whereas it did before), and I ask that you make it go away, please.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@studiotan this knowledge base article covers the situation:

If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

Note the section about backup drives. The solution (if you wish to have the backup drive permanently connected) is to:

• delete any copy of the 1Password app file (only) from the backup drive; and
    • exclude the 1Password app file from any further backups (because, of course, you can always re-download it if you need to).

Provided you don't use any app cleaner tool when deleting the app file none of this will interfere with your 1Password data.

Nothing has changed. This is a (random) problem with Apple's launchd service which has existed since the release of OS X Yosemite. Sometimes the problem bites, sometimes it doesn't. For more information see, for example, this AgileBits' post. There are plenty of other detailed posts from AgileBits on the forum about the problem which you'll find if you search the forum for launchd.

Stephen

• Hi @studiotan,

What I do with CCC is set it to unmount my backup drive after it makes it's copy. Leaving a duplicate copy mounted all the time is generally not a good backup practice. (Malware, human error, etc. could erase files on both drives). When I make another copy, I remount the drive again. I suppose a script could be written that CCC could run before making a copy to automatically mount the backup drive.

Another option is to set CCC to exclude the 1Password application. If you want to keep a backup copy of the app, you could compress it and store the resulting 1Password 6.zip file - that is safe for backup as well.

The reason 1Password complains is that 1Password is only able to tell OS X to launch 1Password mini, and not which copy. Sometimes OS X launches the wrong copy and problems can happen. That dialog you see is a preventative measure. It doesn't happen for everyone, but it can happen, and when it does 1Password can not function properly.

I hope this explains the issue. If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

• studiotan
    studiotan
    Community Member

Thank you both for your assistance. I've asked Bombich to provide a script to mount the external CCC drive before backups.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin and Stephen, you're most welcome! Hopefully all goes well with the script. If you need more help with 1Password or have additional questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• studiotan
    studiotan
    Community Member

Received word from Bombich regarding our Carbon Copy Cloner 4, which (automatically) both mounts it's Destination Drive and (selectable) unmount it after the cloning update is completed. He said he'd been in touch with Agile Bits just prior to responding back to me and mentioned Apple's "dart throwing" as to which App it looks for is affecting many other areas. Thanks to all.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for getting back to us to let us know how that went! Sounds like they've experienced the same problem, or something similar.

We're always happy to help if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.