1Password NEVER selects the province field.

Options

Every time I try to fill a form with my address it always misses the province. In my case I live in British Columbia, so the two field values could be British Columbia of simply BC. I have tried setting the province in my identity to BC and British Columbia and both options don't result in the field being populated. Is there some kind of trick to making this happen? Or is this just a shortcoming of 1Password? One issue might be that sometimes javascript will be used to filter down the province list based on the users province. In this case, 1Password should try a second attempt to set the province field a few hundred milliseconds after the initial call.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rpsstudios,

Do you have a site in mind that we can use for seeing this? Given the origin of AgileBits it would seem to be a bit of an omission if we struggled with the vernacular used in Canada - feels like something we should probably look into :wink:

I tweaked one of my test Login items so my fictitious character now lived in Canada and I tried to fill in our own payment screen. It's a page I can easily get to that allows for easy testing of both an Identity and Credit Card item. 1Password didn't seem too impressed when I set it to British Columbia bit it reacted more favourably when it was set to BC. So I wonder if it's specific sites you see this (maybe we're just not filling too well there at all) or if it's a more widespread thing. The more we can learn the better I hope we can understand :smile:

• rpsstudios
    rpsstudios
    Community Member
    Options

You can try out fonts.com. Add an item to your cart, then check out. You'll need to put in a random email and password, but the next step will then take you to an address form. You'll see that the default country is probably the United States. Then if you auto-fill a Canadian address, it fills in everything, but the province since the province is filtered when you change your country.

For other forms out there a two character code can help, but sometimes the province/state field is looking for a full name and thus a match can't be found if your 1Password identity only has the two character code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

For other forms out there a two character code can help, but sometimes the province/state field is looking for a full name and thus a match can't be found if your 1Password identity only has the two character code.

@rpsstudios: Ah, that's an interesting observation. I was scratching my head about this. At first glance, it seems like an issue with selecting the full province name based on an abbreviation...but in fact I think what's really going on here is that 1Password is trying to fill all of the information at once, and therefore when it tries to select the province, the list hasn't yet adjusted from the country switch from US to Canada. But if you try filling the Identity a second time, the province is selected properly because the list has already been populated based on the country.

I've reported this, and we'll see if there's a way to make 1Password more accommodating in these cases. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

ref: OPX-812

• rpsstudios
    rpsstudios
    Community Member
    Options

I think the fix is just to wait 300ms or something and then try to populate any of the drop down fields again. Or look for one that has the name state, prov, or province in the name.

Another fix that would help cover more forms on the web would be to let people enter not only the abbreviated state/province name, but also the full province name. And then try to find them both if one doesn't make a selection.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rpsstudios Our form filling logic works a little differently than it seems you imagine from your descriptions and suggestions, but we definitely appreciate the ideas. Sites that populate the state/province options after the country has been selected are indeed troublesome. The main reason for this is that all of the processing of the page for form filling purposes is handled in the native 1Password application and not in the browser extension itself, so that process wouldn't be able to see when the field changed.

This is something we want to improve on in the future, but it will require some rearchitecting of the communication flow between the extension and the application.

I can also say that our form filling logic does allow for the state/province abbreviation or the full value in the page but seems not to allow the same in the item. We should gracefully handle both, but that's clearly not the case, so I'm opening a ticket to investigate this further. If 1Password will allow you to set the value to more than an abbreviation, we should handle filling it as well. :)

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

ref: BRAIN-269

• jonathaniweiss
    jonathaniweiss
    Community Member
    Options

I can also say that our form filling logic does allow for the state/province abbreviation or the full value

@jxpx777 You write that form filling logic can work around forms' different formatting for state names. What then is the recommended format for users to input the state in 1Password identities in order for 1Password to auto-fill as many different forms' formats as possible?

Common formats in forms:
    1. CA
    2. CA-California
    3. California

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jonathaniweiss,

I live in California and have the standard postal abbreviation "CA" stored in the "state" field in my Identity items. :)

This discussion has been closed.