Guests

Options
mdmangus
mdmangus
Community Member

Looking at https://support.1password.com/sharing-with-guests/

Eventually in my family I will be adding my kids to the accounts as Family Members. I need to share some passwords with my Dad which I don't want to add him to my account as a full normal account since I just want to share a single Vault for he already uses 1password on his iPhone.

So if I create him as a guest does that count against my number of normal family members having a normal account?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good question, @mdmangus. Guests do not count as family members. You get 2 guests with your family subscription.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help. :)

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

Just a thought but what about having unlimited guests but limit the items. For end users this means you can share with more people without having to remove and for you guys it means more exposure.

I've been in situations where I just need to give/get a password or two but won't use 1Password because I don't want them to have to go through the process more than once because I had to remove them to add someone else.

• Jacob
    Options

@tommyent That's an interesting idea. We'll keep it in mind. :) I honestly didn't imagine guests would be used very much for Families. I thought they might be for friends, a family accountant, and other little things. What do you happen to be using them for?

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

Friends and family mostly.
    I did get the family tech support role so may be more than the usual. It's not a ton but if I had to guess by now I would say maybe 10 people. Someone stays at the house I would be giving wifi, Netflix, Hulu, some codes, perhaps an emergency credit card etc. I've created and set up accounts (e.g. hosting for blogs, etsy, domains, email) then have to send them their passwords. I've shared documents for someone to book travel.

Hard to think of now and like I said it was not a ton I just know that I've used a guest I think twice and stopped when I found out that I would need to delete then invite the user back at a later date

• Jacob
    Options

@tommyent The house WiFi idea is brilliant! I'd never thought of that. So all these cases would need guest users because they just aren't permanent scenarios, I assume? I feel like, in a family setup like this, the same people would come back from time to time anyway so it would be worth having them as members of the family rather than guests. Is that not an option for you because of cost or because you prefer having less users?

• tommyent
    tommyent
    Community Member
    Options

Ahh I forgot about adding users. It's $1 per user or something right? Well just adding my bothers and sisters would be another $5 a month. For just a few passwords that would be used the few times I see them or they come here I'm not sure the cost/benefit will add up. Plus other times that I can think of were handing off password to someone in a secure manner. One of us may never use that password again depending on the situation.

The people I planned on having in my family plan is those that I am responsible for. So it would be myself and my two kids. Single dad with 2 kids the last thing I need is more people to be responsible for :chuffed:

Anyway it's not a deal breaker or what I would consider a problem for me but just a thought. Not quite freemium but it would get it out there in people's hands in a similar way.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed. There are a lot of things to consider — not only for us as we develop 1Password Families going forward, but for each of us as we manage our own 1Password Families. Thanks so much for your continued feedback! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.