Problem syncing changes across computers

d_rocah
d_rocah
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I am using 1Password 6.3 for Mac on a home and work computer (both running OS X 10.11.4), and 1Password Beta on my Android phone, all syncing via Dropbox. However changes that I make to my database at home sync to my phone, but are not syncing to the work computer. The work computer shows the unedited entry. Don't know how to diagnose or fix. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @d_rocah,

Sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble syncing 1Password on your work Mac! I'm sure we can help get that working again.

It sounds like changes to 1Password on your home Mac sync to Android, but not to your work Mac. What happens if you make a change to 1Password on your work Mac? Does that change sync to either your home Mac or Android phone?

Also, please check some settings in 1Password on your work Mac:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your vault is set to sync with Dropbox.
    • If it shows a different sync option or says None, set up sync with Dropbox by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox (Mac)

If Dropbox is already enabled in the sync preferences, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox. Compare that to the sync settings in 1Password on your home Mac. Is 1Password pointing to the exact same sync file in the exact same location in Dropbox on both Macs?

If the problem is that the work Mac is syncing with a different sync file than your home Mac, you'll need to disable sync on your work Mac, then set it up again and choose the correct sync file from Dropbox.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks! :)

• d_rocah
    d_rocah
    Community Member

Hi, thanks for the reply. Your understanding of the problem is correct. 1Password on my work computer is properly set to sync with Dropbox. It is syncing the primary vault (which is the only vault) with Dropbox selected in the pull down list. And it is syncing to home folder:Dropbox:1Password.agilekeychain. I'm not at home, so can't confirm that that's the same as what's on the home computer, but on my phone, it says its syncing to /1Password.agilekeychain, so I think it must be the same. And no, things I add at work are not syncing to the phone. I just created a dummy test entry, and it didn't sync. So now I have an even bigger problem. There are 265 total entries in my database at work. There are 273 total items in my phone database (and I'm willing to bet the number is the same at home). Apart from the test entry I just created at work, I have no idea if there are other entries that only live on my work computer. What now?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @d_rocah,

Thanks for checking on that! Although the items aren't all matching across devices right now, they will once we solve the problem.

Are you signed into the Dropbox app on your work Mac with the same Dropbox account as you are on your home Mac and Android phone? If so, please double-check to make sure Dropbox is running on your work Mac, and that it's not paused (if you click the Dropbox icon in the menubar, it should show either "Up to date" or "Syncing paused").

If it's running and not paused, please open the main Dropbox folder on your work Mac and copy or move a new file into it (any file will do, like a text file, picture, or even a folder). Allow that to sync (its icon should have a green check mark when the sync is complete). Then open a browser and sign into your account on the dropbox.com website. Does the new file show there? If so, does it also show up in the Dropbox folder on your home Mac and/or in the Dropbox app on your Android phone?

This discussion has been closed.