Yet another case of "1Password Extension didn't save my new password"

I just started using 1Password for Families yesterday, so I'm in the process of adding accounts, and generating new passwords for those accounts.

Using Firefox (46.0.1), logged into my Google account for which I already have a Login saved in 1Password. I generated a new password by right-clicking on the "New password" field, and then clicked on "Fill", which populated both fields ("New password" and "Confirm new password"), and then clicked on "CHANGE PASSWORD". I was not given a dialog box to save or update a Login item. I then logged out of my Google account, and upon attempting to log back in discovered that the password saved in the Login item for this account was the OLD password. I then located the new password saved in an unassociated Password item, and copy/pasted the new password into the browser field, and logged in, expecting this to trigger the update. Once again, I was not given a dialog box to save or update the Login for this account. I then used the 1Password desktop app to manually copy the password from the Password item and edited the Login for my Google account.

I then repeated this process with Chrome (Version 50.0.2661.94 (64-bit)), and experienced the exact same undesirable behavior.

In general, this product appears to be very polished, but this isn't the type of behavior I was expecting, or feel that it would be reasonable to expect. And if this is the intended behavior, it would seems quite cumbersome if my desired goal for using this product is to regularly update passwords every 6 months. Furthermore, this not a service I can suggest that, say, my mother begin using, if this is the expected behavior.

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3 (630032) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: 4.5.6 (Firefox) & 4.5.6.90 (Chrome)
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: "Families" (Version 136)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @nathangsm,

We've seen a couple of recent reports of issues with updating a Login item from a change password form but this is the first report that supplied a specific site so thank you. I've just finished testing a new beta of the extension so I know the code works in the sense that I test the password change form on the Amazon site as part of the standard testing we do on all browsers.

With a specific site mentioned though I'm in the better position to go test and see if something isn't working somewhere specific or at the very least gain a better idea of what we're looking at.

Currently the way our password change detection works is that it looks for three password fields. Forms with three password fields where two of the fields have the same password is almost exclusively a password change form and we react accordingly.

The google page is different and first asks you for your current password before taking you to a new page to ask you for the new password. I'm disappointed we didn't ask to save at all and that's something we need to investigate.

In any instance like this, if the Password Generator is used to create the new password and 1Password doesn't offer to save or update there will be a password item in your vault. It's created as soon as you either copy or fill using the Password Generator as a safety net. We set the title to the domain where it was used to help distinguish them. In the case of Google this means it will be set to myaccount.google.com as that's the domain they send you to to change your password. Normally the Password item doesn't live long as if you save a new Login item or update an existing one using the password stored in a Password item that matches the domain we remove the Password item. The reasoning is it has served its purpose and you have an updated Login item that is generally more useful. The backup means though that any password generated by the Password Generator should be in your vault one way or another for times where something goes awry.

We will have to investigate Google more closely as compatibility with their site is an important one. I would also be interested if you find other sites where updating your password doesn't result in 1Password asking as every example helps us learn.

ref: OPX-1188

• nathangsm
    nathangsm
    Community Member

Wow, really great, thorough reply. I may have to recommend this to my mother after all… :+1:

Yeah, that makes sense regarding Google's process not having everything on the same page. And I did discover the auto-saving of generated passwords, which saved my bacon.

I'll be sure to post any other strange results I experience.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad lil bobby was able to help. And I'm glad he's on our team! We'll keep working to improve this, and we definitely appreciate any feedback you have to offer! :)

This discussion has been closed.