I can no longer share to Messages or Mail with 1Password 6.3 on my Mac

ra377
ra377
Community Member

The options to share to Messages or Mail no longer appear on my Mac or in iOS. Do I need to do something to enable them?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:share

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ra377,

Thanks for writing in to ask us about this! Those specific item sharing features were removed from an update a couple months ago. To make a long story short, they were removed over security concerns - when using those options, the items are only obfuscated and not encrypted, and anyone who gets a copy of the email/message would be able to read that information with a copy of 1Password. Mail and Messages can be insecure means of communication, and we felt those item sharing options mislead customers into thinking they were secure when they weren't.

However, I have good news - we're bringing those features back (with warning messages)! Our developers have added them back in a recent beta (I don't have a timeframe for when a stable update with those features will be available).

I'm sorry for the inconvenience, although fortunately those features will be back at some point in the near future. If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

• ra377
    ra377
    Community Member

Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

You're quite welcome! We're here for you if you need help with anything else. Cheers! :)

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG

Don't want to hijack any of this but have looked at a couple of threads regarding sharing passwords through messages and email and completely take on board how this can be a security problem.

Just a thought, I use a couple of secure email programs and a very secure messaging service - Protonmail and Tutanota for encrypted email and Cyphr from Goldenfrog (VyprVPN) when I need to send secure SMS messages.

Is there a way that options for these type of programs can be added to the Share option in 1P?

Thanks
    Paul

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@PJ1: It's an interesting idea, but there isn't a way for 1Password to programmatically (and reliably) whitelist (or blacklist) specific apps. And even then, that would require us to essentially vet each individual app. The best solution we have right now is to educate people about the risks before sharing, but I'm hopeful that ultimately we'll be able to add a secure sharing feature that doesn't ask as much from the user. :)

• PJ1
    PJ1
    Community Member

Hi @brenty, thanks for the reply.

I understand. Glad you've decided to add back the option to use mail or messages (as posted by @Drew_AG) - even though I personally wouldn't use them to share password info!

I agree, the best you can do is TRY to educate us all about the risks but leave it with us to choose after the 'You Have Been Warned' messages come up.

Now, as soon as you guys do your own email and messaging service plus a VPN, let me know!

thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now, as soon as you guys do your own email and messaging service plus a VPN, let me know!

Will do! :lol:

Thanks again for your feedback on this! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.