Failed to unlock. Cannot locate keychain with the specified identifier

bleep
bleep
Community Member

I installed 1password on a 2nd mac. I have synched my data through icloud and it is visible in settings>icloud>manage
I can log into icloud on both macs

I have applied licence to 2nd mac
I cannot log in - message says 'Failed to unlock. Cannot locate keychain with the specified identifier'
I select preferences in 1password on 2nd mac because I am not logged in.

please help

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: el capitan
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Failed to unlock. Cannot locate keychain with the specified identifier

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bleep: I'm sorry for the trouble! Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong. Please tell me all OS and 1Password versions you're using (especially the Mac you're having trouble on), the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. Also, could you please clarify where you're seeing this? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance! :)

• bleep
    bleep
    Community Member

HI

the OS on the second mac is 10.10.5
    1password 6

I just tried again (notifying 1password that my data was on iCloud and then logging in to iCloud) it thought for a bit and then presented the 1password login, which I entered my master password into and WOW I am logged in!

I think that it wasn't all juiced up last night - the sending of data to icloud maybe had not synced?

anyhow - all working now. but FYI it was not happy last night, moments after having sent the data to icloud. Seems like it needed some time to let it settle.

thanks for getting back to me, and for your help!

• bleep
    bleep
    Community Member

actually - interestingly the log in to icloud has not been successful - in that all it shows is a grey screen with a circle rotating in the middle. it doesn't seem to have made an impact on the sync of the icloud data working, but I am definitely not logged in to icloud.

I am afraid that I cannot do a screenshot because I am remotely accessing the 2nd mac (which has no keyboard attached) so I can't screenshot when I am using Screen Sharing.

However, 1Password 6 has successfully synched with iCloud and is working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

actually - interestingly the log in to icloud has not been successful - in that all it shows is a grey screen with a circle rotating in the middle. it doesn't seem to have made an impact on the sync of the icloud data working, but I am definitely not logged in to iCloud.

@bleep: Confusingly, this is what happens when you login to your iCloud account on Apple's website. Once you get to that point, you should receive a popup from the 1Password app confirming that it was able to connect, and then it's safe to close the web page. Hopefully Apple will make this clearer on their site as well in the future.

I am afraid that I cannot do a screenshot because I am remotely accessing the 2nd mac (which has no keyboard attached) so I can't screenshot when I am using Screen Sharing.

Not a problem. I know exactly what you're talking about here!

However, 1Password 6 has successfully synched with iCloud and is working.

Indeed, it sounds like you should be all set. And in the future when you need to re-authenticate with iCloud you'll probably remember this too. Sorry for the confusion there! :lol:

This discussion has been closed.