Is there a way to leave icloud sync enabled on mac and manually copy the database over to bootcamp?

linuxpng
linuxpng
Community Member

I have icloud syncing enabled right now, and most of the time I use ios and osx. I want to manually copy the DB over periodically to my bootcamp partition, but I cannot seem to find the files on my mac to do this. Can someone tell me where I can find the files on my mac when icloud sync is enabled?

1Password Version: 6.3 mac app store
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: icloud
Referrer: forum-search:icloud sync copy

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@linuxpng: Sorry for the confusion! iCloud uses CloudKit and not a file-based sync process like Dropbox, so there won't be an external copy of your 1Password database. You could switch to Folder Sync periodically to create a copy of the vault to transfer over to BootCamp...but it would be a lot easier (and less error-prone) to use Dropbox to sync the data instead, since it will work on all platforms. Let me know what you think! :)

• linuxpng
    linuxpng
    Community Member

I thought that might be the case. I did that previously to get the files over initially. I don't want to use dropbox since I know nothing about their security or privacy. I mean, I also have access to icloud on these devices so that would be using 3rd party service when I already have access to icloud.

Manual sync it is. Maybe an updated feature would be to have two sync options, (cloudkit and local folder) ?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I thought that might be the case. I did that previously to get the files over initially. I don't want to use dropbox since I know nothing about their security or privacy. I mean, I also have access to icloud on these devices so that would be using 3rd party service when I already have access to iCloud.

@linuxpng: Just keep in mind that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data — Dropbox, iCloud, or otherwise. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance.

Manual sync it is. Maybe an updated feature would be to have two sync options, (cloudkit and local folder) ?

I think that allowing multiple sync targets for each vault could be pretty confusing to users, and it would also add a lot of complexity (and potentially bugs). That said, it's certainly something we can consider adding in the future if there's demand for it. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.