feature request: add update existing to the convert to login for generated passwords

mdaniel
mdaniel
Community Member

It would be great if generated passwords (those which I have generated and now appear in the Passwords folder, along with the website I was on when they were generated) had an "update existing" in place of, or in addition to, the "Convert to Login" button when the domain of the generated password matches the domain of an existing item. This would make the following tedious workflow easier: copying the password, navigating to the existing Login, clicking Edit, pasting the password and pressing Save.

1Password Version: 6.3 (630032)
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @mdaniel ,

Thanks for writing in with your request. I too, have wished for that as well, with some older logins. Though, most of the time, it should do this automatically.

For example, of you go to a site's create account page, use the Password Generator to generate a password and fill it, then create a username and submit, it should ask you to save. In those instances, it will convert the password to the login and fill in the username you just creates. I realize this workflow doesn't work with all sites, but just wanted to make sure you're aware of it.

I'll pass your request along for consideration.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin ,

Yes, I am definitely aware of the automatic way that 1P both creates logins and sometimes updates existing ones, but with the modern trend toward ajax-y everythings, I would guess 1P notices a password change only about 33% of the time. Thus, I have to locate the previous saved login item in order to manually update it with the new password that was just generated as part of the change-password flow.

I actually wonder if a heuristic might be that if the generate password function was used on a page, then the browser navigates away from that page [without firing the existing update-login-item trigger], prompt for updating the login item. It's definitely not perfect, but it would be a huge win for my most common case.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your feedback, @mdaniel! Our developers are constantly working to improve the communication between 1Password and web browsers, and I'll be happy to forward your comments to them.

For now, if you run into this problem again (i.e. 1Password doesn't prompt you to update a Login item with a new password after changing it on a website), this knowledgebase article might be helpful: How to recover a password created with the password generator

If you need anything else, please let us know - we're always glad to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.