Backups - clouds

nlesti
nlesti
Community Member

Having trouble understanding what the difference is between 1PW sync in iCloud and where I can put a backup file (preferably automatically) of my latest DB files from 1pw. Had a situation where I had to wipe my mac and time machine was acting up. Fortunately I got all info back but would like to have that DB file stored (preferably encrypted) to a cloud of some sort. I also have access to Dbox.

I believe the sync with iCloud just allows the data to sync between devices (I had been using that via wifi and syncing my phone that way). I am interested in what I need to do if my mac gets wiped, deleted etc. Where can I put that DB file?

Sorry, newbie to thinking of backups for 1PW any help is appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @nlesti,

If you have sync with iCloud enabled, a copy of each item (encrypted, of course) is uploaded to iCloud, and is automatically updated each time you change one of your items in your 1Password database.

If something were to happen to your Mac, and, for example, you got a new one, all you would need to do is install 1Password on the new Mac, and tell it your data is on iCloud the first time you run it. It will pull down all of your items and you'll be back in business.

This stores every item, but does not store application preferences. This is not a big deal as there are only a few preferences, so iCloud may be ok for you. 1Password does make backup files regularly and stores preferences and items (essentially a backup of the entire database) on your hard disk. To see them, open 1Password Preferences, click on Backup, and click "Show Files". If you want to preserve these backups, you need to back up these files. You mentioned Time Machine was giving you trouble, so you may want to invest in another backup plan such as Backblaze, or another backup solution.

I hope I've answered your questions. Feel free to reply if you need clarification on something or have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• nlesti
    nlesti
    Community Member

Yeah this is great. I will download the latest copy of the DB folder to an encrypted drive on a regular schedule as well. Thank you

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you are quite welcome! :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.