Using 1p6 get a message on startup saying 1p is damaged but it runs fine.

mmdupas
mmdupas
Community Member

Also looked at log and see messages about the 1p4 helper. ElCap is my OS.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Using 1p6 get a message on startup saying 1p is damaged but it runs fine.

Comments

• Hi @mmdupas,

Could you please tell us exactly what the error says? (or provide a screenshot). I'd like to look further into this.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• mmdupas
    mmdupas
    Community Member

Hi Kevin,

I read on the forum about disabling/enabling the safari extension 4.5.6 and after that the message is now about needing an updated version. I'm new to this so let me know if the screen shot is readable to you.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @mmdupas,

Sorry that you are experiencing this issue.

That is a warning if you were using a version of 1Password and then went backwards and ran a earlier version of 1Password.

We do this because sometimes we have to upgrade some of your 1Password data and it might not be compatible with previous versions of 1Password.

Is it possible that you have done this? For example you might have been on the Beta version of 1Password, and then went back to the regular release of 1Password?

It's also possible that you have multiple versions of 1Password installed on your computer. You can search your computer for "1Password" and see if you have multiple copies somehow. Sometimes people have a copy in their applications folder and another in their Downloads folder for example.

If you find that there are multiple copies of 1Password on your computer, you should select them and go to "get info" and see which is the most recent version of 1Password. After that make sure to move all other copies to the trash and have the most recent version of 1Password to your Applications folder and then restart your computer.

Hope this helps.

• mmdupas
    mmdupas
    Community Member

I have a backup drive attached with many cloned/bootable partitions of my system. Some of them would have older copies of 1p. Could those be the explanation?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmdupas,

I don't know for sure if that would cause this problem, but it should be easy to test that: simply disconnect the backup drive, reboot your Mac, and see if 1Password gives you that error again (making sure the backup drive is still disconnected).

If you still get the error at that point, please check the exact version of the 1Password app installed on your Mac. Normally you can launch the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > About 1Password in the menu, but if you aren't able to launch the app, just go to the Applications folder, click once on the 1Password app file, and go to File > Get Info. The window that opens will show the exact version number.

Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• mmdupas
    mmdupas
    Community Member

No message with the drive disconnected. When I turn it on the message reappears. I expect once all the partitions have a backup containing 1p6 I won't see it again. Maybe a setting to not examine external drives would eliminate the confusion?

A no big deal FYI item is I noticed in the log that the helper is 1p4 not 1p6.

Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mmdupas,

Good to know it works as expected when the drive is disconnected! That certainly narrows down the cause of this.

Maybe a setting to not examine external drives would eliminate the confusion?

1Password doesn't examine external drives when you launch it, but I have a couple ideas about why this problem might happen when your backup drive is connected. When you get the "Updated Version Required" error, are you trying to launch the main 1Password app, or are you trying to use the 1Password extension in your browser?

If you're trying to launch the main 1Password app, what are the exact steps you take to do that? For example, do you click a 1Password shortcut in the Dock, or do you use Spotlight to search for & open 1Password, or do you go to the Applications folder and double-click the 1Password app there?

Also, did you check the version number of the main 1Password app?

• mmdupas
    mmdupas
    Community Member

I'm now at version 6.3.1. While 1p may not look at external drives when it launches it does when installing an update. Here's a message I received when I wanted to install the update.

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2016

Hi @mmdupas ,

That updater message appears because it's trying to prevent the exact problem that you've experienced - It appears OS X launched the wrong version of 1Password mini - one located on your CC Weekly drive instead of the one in your applications folder. Unfortunately, OS X can sometimes find the wrong version, and there's no method for 1Password to tell OS X which copy to prefer.

I recommend one of two things:
    1. Delete the copy on CC Weekly, and set your backup software to exclude the 1Password app. Remember, your data is stored elsewhere so it will still be backed up.
    2. Unmount your backup drive when it's not backing up. If you use Carbon Copy Cloner or a similar backup app, you can set it to unmount your drive after it finishes. It also has an option to run a script before it backs up. There is an article here that tells you how to make a script to automatically mount the drive before backing up: http://katiefloyd.com/blog/automatically-mount-a-drive-before-a-backup

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mmdupas
    mmdupas
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin this explanation makes sense. I use CCC so I think I'll go the Katie Floyd direction. I'll delete the copies of 1p from my external drives for now.

• Great! Un-mounting your backup drive when not backing up is good practice anyway. If you have any troubles, let us know.

This discussion has been closed.