Can't login in with Chrome on some sites, but can on Safari (OS X)

Options

On some sites, on my macbook, I can log in on Safari and not Chrome. OS X, 1password and browsers are up to date. The problem happens on sites with popup log in windows. To see such a log in got to
and click the login button.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: OS X 0.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @slobizman. I just tested this page, and I see the same problem you're reporting. We've seen this with a few sites and a quick investigation confirms what I suspected. This page has over 900 input elements! When we try to send this much detail across to 1Password for analysis, it breaks Chrome's connection mechanism. We have something we're working on to help with this, but I can't say much more about it right now. For now, the best answer is to use Safari or to copy and paste your data in Chrome.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you right now.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Jamie. If this helps, it also does it on Afternic.com login page: https://www.afternic.com/login

What's interesting is that I recall 1password working on these before. I don't know exactly, but I'd say maybe up to a month or so ago if I had to guess.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slobizman: I can't speak to whether or not it worked in the past, not having seen it. But ultimately it doesn't matter unless we're able to find a way to get it working for you again in the (future) present. Thanks for sharing that additional information! :)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Any word on a fix for this? It happens on several sites and it pretty frustrating having to manually log in to them.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @slobizman,

At the moment no. The problem we're facing is after collecting all the necessary details of the page, we try to send the data to 1Password mini. After passing the data to Chrome to send it hits an upper limit in Chrome and instead of sending the data like Safari and Firefox it disconnects the WebSocket we're using (that Chrome set up for us). We're tempted to try and move away from using a WebSocket but this isn't a trivial move and would require a big shift in both the extension and in any copy of 1Password that needs to communicate with the extension (so both 1Password for Mac and Windows).

The issue affects Chrome and any Chromium based browser (such as Vivaldi) as it's Chrome disconnecting the WebSocket.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the update and explanation. I know how things that seem simple, never are. :) I am curious, do you see this affecting many customers, or am I just one of the unlucky ones with the sites I visit?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@slobizman: I'm sure it's affecting others as well, but to be honest I can't think of any other reports of this (though Jamie may tell me otherwise). It depends entirely on the site, and also not everyone who encounters this type of issue may actually contact us. But even if it's "just" you, we'd very much like to find a solution. As lil bobby mentioned, that may mean rearchitecting the extension in a big way. That could take a while.

We certainly wouldn't do something that drastic for something like this...but there are plenty of other ways we could make it worth it for all 1Password users if we do that in the future. I'm sorry that you're the "unlucky" one in this case, but I'm glad that it at least works normally in other browsers. And regardless it is a huge help to hear about any issues our customers are experiencing. Even if you were truly the only one, we can add this to the "pro" column on our "rewrite browser extension" list, and that will contribute to the decision making process going forward. Thank you! :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @slobizman,

I've seen a few instances but not as many as might be expected given the nature of the issue. It affects all Chrome based browsers and those sites with an unusual number of input fields will reliably fail in this situation. I'm aware of a handful of sites with a couple of surprise ones that only had one or two visible fields. Thankfully most sites don't have insane numbers of fields or massively long labels which we find often need checked to help filling. It's not great that we're in this situation but sadly it will be a fairly large change required to get round it.

• donmontalvo
    donmontalvo
    Community Member
    Options

When this happens, I send a nasty-gram to the website "owner" and it eventually gets fixed.

Until it is fixed, I usually right-click on the username field that comes up, rather than using the browser menu bar icon.

Don

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for those tips! I can't say that anyone has ever changed a website at my request, but you're right that it never hurts to ask either. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.