I can not get generated password to work on web site when I try to convert to 1password.

LarryB
LarryB
Community Member

I can not get generated password to work on web site when I try to convert to 1password. I end up not being able to log into site

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryB,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble using the password generator to update your password for a website!

Do you have an existing account on a website and are trying to change your password for that site? If so, please make sure you're following the steps here: How to change your passwords and make them stronger

If you follow those steps but something doesn't work right, can you please describe which step doesn't work as described? Does the password generator fill the new password field(s) correctly? Once you submit your changes on that site, does 1Password prompt you to update your Login item? If you find that Login item in the main 1Password app, does it show the new password you generated, or does it still show the old one?

The more details you can give us about the steps you take and what is or isn't working as expected when you do that, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• LarryB
    LarryB
    Community Member

Drew, here are the steps;
    Open safari
    Enter website wanting to change PW.
    Select change PW
    Click on 1 PW in upper tool bar
    Hover over website window opens to left showing site username, password and strength meter. Click on copy to paste existing PW and it WILL NOT COPY.
    from here I entered original PW in existing PW box
    Put cursor in new PW box
    Click on PW generator, box open to left I hit fill button the PW which was generated pops into Existing PW box.
    I stopped here knowing what I do Will not work. Help me please

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @LarryB,

Thank you for describing the steps you take and what happens!

Click on copy to paste existing PW and it WILL NOT COPY.

I'm not sure why clicking on the password in your Login item would fail to copy it to the clipboard. When you hover your mouse over the password, a dotted line should appear around it, and a 'copy' button should appear to the right. Do you see that? If so, you should be able to simply click on it to copy the password. Then you'll need to paste it in the "existing password" field by right-clicking in that field and choosing Paste, or by going to Edit > Paste, or by using the ⌘V keyboard shortcut. What happens when you try to paste it?

If copying the password doesn't work by clicking on it, you can also try using the ⌘⇧C ( Command+Shift+C ) keyboard shortcut to copy it while the item details are being shown. If you copy it that way, are you then able to paste it into the "existing password" field?

from here I entered original PW in existing PW box

It sounds like you typed the existing password manually in the "change password" form? If so, that should allow you to continue the steps to change your password.

Click on PW generator, box open to left I hit fill button the PW which was generated pops into Existing PW box.
    I stopped here knowing what I do Will not work.

Just to make sure I understand: you typed the old password in the "existing password" field, and when you used the password generator and clicked the Fill button, it replaced the text in the "existing password" field and left the "new password" field empty?

If that's what happens, it could be that the form on that site works differently than 1Password expects. In that case, you can simply follow these steps:

• Enter your old/existing password in the "existing password" field.
    • Open the 1Password extension / 1Password mini and use the Password Generator to create a new password.
    • Click the ▼ button next to Fill and choose Copy.
    • Paste the new password into the "new password" field(s).
    • Submit the "change password" form.

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

ref: FQB-81264-229

This discussion has been closed.