Upgrading from V3.8 to V6 / latest extension in Safari not connecting to app

Kengel
Kengel
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I have my main box running V6 on El Capitan but have a infrequently used 2012 MacBook still back in the stone ages on V3.8 on Yosemite. I bought 1P direct (not App Store). I was told long ago "When you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) 1Password 4 will offer the update to 1Password 5 and this will be a free update." But maybe I need to get from V3.8 to V4 first to be able to move forward?

Any short route to get to up V6?

1Password Version: 3.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kengel,

I'm sorry for all the confusion with the different versions of 1Password. While the upgrade from version 4 to 5 and then to 6 is free, the upgrade from version 3 to any of the newer versions is payed. The good news is that you get a very nice discount for it! You just need to write your license code here: https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade?product_id=108 and you'll be able to see it. I've sent you your license again in case you didn't have it easily available. You don't need to go through versions 4 or 5, you can use directly version 6 :chuffed:

Please let us know if you have any other questions or there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

I think you missed the part where I said I already have V6 on my main Mac. I just never bothered to update the one on the MacBook (running 3.8).

So what you've said here is I have to buy it again to install it on more than one Mac. That's never been the case before.

Perhaps it is just a matter of copying V6 off of the main Mac and onto the laptop?

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kengel,

I apologise, I did miss the part where you already have version 6 on your other Mac, I'm sorry for my confusion. If that's the case then you only need to install the new version of 1Password and apply your license, you can use your license in as many computers as you want. The data you already have will still be there once you've updated, without any extra effort :chuffed:

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

OK, got it - Done.

That was easier than upgrading was,in the past... I think I had to go through v4, then use the auto updater or something if I recall. In this case all I needed to do was install V6 and launch it - it "took over" the existing license in use automatically. Then just delete the old version and extensions.

Thanks!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@Kengel You're welcome! I'm glad to hear it all went well and the process was smooth! :chuffed:

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

Oops apparently we're not quite done yet. While I can run V6 independently just fine - when I try to use the 4.5.6.safariextz (deleted the old extension) I get the following error and if I have the 1PV6 program open, it quits! V6 is now the only instance of 1P I have on the MacBook.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kengel,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension in Safari! Thanks for including the screenshot, it's extremely helpful for us.

Let's start by checking the following setting:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that option was disabled, that would explain the problem with the extension. On the other hand, if it was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menubar.
    • Once it restarts, try using the extension in Safari again.

Finally, if restarting mini doesn't help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, does the extension work in Safari, or do you get the same error? Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• Kengel
    Kengel
    Community Member

Thanks - none of the above worked - until I rebooted. All seems fine now - thanks again!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! That's great news, I'm really glad to hear it's working for you now.

Hopefully you're all set, but if you need more help with 1Password, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.