Recently upgraded to version 6.3 and received License. Now find 3 new accounts in vault for $64.

hbusher20142
hbusher20142
Community Member

I recently upgraded 1Password to 6.3 and received license. I have been using it with no problem, but today I opened the vault and found 5 "accounts google.com." They show "Trial Expired" at the top and, when opened, they ask for $64. What is going on?

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Have upgraded to version 6.3 and received my new license. Now find another act. in vault.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hbusher20142,

Sorry to hear you're running into a bit of trouble with 1Password! I'm sure we can help figure out what's going on.

I'm not quite sure I understand if you're describing one problem or two different problems, so it will help if you can elaborate on a couple things:

...today I opened the vault and found 5 "accounts google.com."

Is that something you're seeing when you open the main 1Password app, or when you open the 1Password browser extension / 1Password mini? Do you mean you're seeing 5 different Login items for Google? When you visit a website in your browser and click the 1Password extension, it will show Login items for that site - so if you're viewing a Google site and happen to have 5 different Login items for Google, those will be shown when you click on the extension. But I'm not sure if that's what you're describing. A few more details about that will be helpful for us.

They show "Trial Expired" at the top and, when opened, they ask for $64.

Do you mean the 1Password app and/or browser extension shows a "Trial Expired" message? If so, that simply means you have not yet activated 1Password on that Mac by adding a license file (or by signing into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account, if you happen to have one). Please take a look at this knowledgebase article for more information: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

Hopefully that helps, but please let us know if you have more questions about the "Trial Expired" message. :)

• hbusher20142
    hbusher20142
    Community Member

Guess I didn't explain the problem well. I have had 1 Password for many years on my iMac with no problems, but I recently went to iCloud and installed 1 PW on my iPad. Now,however, when I opened the vault I found duplicate, triplicate and even 5 items, for most of the sights in the list. At the top is "accounts.google.com", each with a different date. Some of the dates go back to 2014. I now have 3 items for "Apple", 3 listings for "nytimes.com", and many more multiple listings. They do show different passwords and different dates, some to 2013. I can't delete them because the "select" choice does not show, and the words "trial expired" is in the upper right corner of each. Does this problem have something to do with iCloud?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @hbusher20142! That helps, and I have a much better idea of what you're seeing on your end now.

I have had 1 Password for many years on my iMac with no problems, but I recently went to iCloud and installed 1 PW on my iPad.

Do you mean you recently started syncing your 1Password data via iCloud? If so, were you using a different sync option before that? Or is this the first time you've tried syncing your 1Password data? It sounds like perhaps you started syncing with iCloud in 1Password on your Mac so you could sync it to 1Password on your iPad - is that correct?

Now,however, when I opened the vault I found duplicate, triplicate and even 5 items, for most of the sights in the list.

Are you seeing the duplicate items in 1Password on your Mac, on your iPad, or on both?

They do show different passwords and different dates, some to 2013.

Had you previously been using 1Password on your iPad and perhaps had older versions of your items there? Or have you ever previously tried using iCloud sync? I'm wondering where the older versions of your items would have come from (assuming you only had the newer copies on your Mac before all this happened).

I can't delete them because the "select" choice does not show...

I'm not sure which "select" choice you're referring to. What steps are you taking to try to delete the duplicates? Also, are you trying to do that in 1Password on your Mac?

...and the words "trial expired" is in the upper right corner of each.

As I mentioned in my last reply, if 1Password for Mac shows a "Trial Expired" message, that means you need to activate the app with your license file (or by signing into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account). This article will help you take care of that: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

Once you've activated 1Password for Mac, are you able to delete the duplicate items?

• hbusher20142
    hbusher20142
    Community Member

I think I now know how I am getting the "Trial Expired " message on all my items in the vault. It started when I decided to put 1Password on my new iPad by syncing with iCloud. I had to first upgrade my Mac OS to El Capitan, and then install iCloud. Because I had 1Password 3 I had to buy the new version 6 in order to sync. Then I went to Apple Store on my iPad to get and download 1Password, which was a 30 day free trial. I then had to sync the 1Password on the iPad to the iMac, and when doing so there was a place to check where it said something like " this is not a new account" which, assumed meant that I was not opening another account.
    I believe something has gone wrong and your computers are telling me that my trial has ended, and that I should pay $65 and open another account. I think we have a serious problem because you could end up deleting all of my passwords on my iMac account since they are synced. Can you check this out quickly

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

Hi @hbusher20142,

Thank you for the additional information! I think there's a bit of confusion here about how 1Password licenses and 1Password accounts work, so I'd like to clear that up as I think it will help you get things back on track.

First, if you haven't already done so, please make sure you read this page of our support site: If you see “Trial Expired” in 1Password

That article will clear up a lot of the confusion, as well as help you activate the 1Password app on your Mac.

I searched in our system for the email address from your forum account and I see that you purchased a license last month. You can have your license info resent to you from the above knowledgebase article, but to make things a bit easier, I've done that for you, so you should received that license email shortly before I posted this message.

I had to first upgrade my Mac OS to El Capitan, and then install iCloud. Because I had 1Password 3 I had to buy the new version 6 in order to sync.

That's correct - 1Password 3 for Mac is an older version which did not have the ability to sync with iCloud. Also, version 3 doesn't work very well on El Capitan and is incompatible with the latest versions of some web browsers, so it's good that you upgraded to 1Password 6 for Mac.

Then I went to Apple Store on my iPad to get and download 1Password, which was a 30 day free trial.

Just to be clear, the iOS version of 1Password doesn't actually have a trial period: 1Password for iOS is a free download, and offers free basic features which do not expire. If you decide you would like to unlock the Pro features in 1Password for iOS, you can do so with an in-app purchase.

The Mac version of 1Password does have a 30 day free trial period when downloaded from our website. 1Password for Mac can be fully activated with a license - you've already purchased a license, but you have not yet used it to activate the 1Password app on your Mac.

I then had to sync the 1Password on the iPad to the iMac, and when doing so there was a place to check where it said something like " this is not a new account" which, assumed meant that I was not opening another account.

It sounds like you're referring to the options you see the first time you open the 1Password app. That allows you to sync existing data from another device (via iCloud or Dropbox), or import data from 1Password 3 if it finds any on the same device.

Alternately, there is an option to sign into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account. A Teams/Family account is a subscription-based service which we introduced within the last few months. Please note that a 1Password account is not the same thing as a 1Password license. As far as I know, you haven't signed up for a Teams/Families account. You don't need to sign up for an account if you've purchased a license for the Mac app.

I believe something has gone wrong and your computers are telling me that my trial has ended

Nothing has gone wrong - you simply haven't activated the 1Password app on your Mac with your license. You've been using 1Password for Mac in trial mode, and because you didn't activate it with your license within the 30 day trial period, the trial expired. The app has no way of knowing you purchased a license from us unless you use that license to activate it. You don't need to make another purchase, you just need to use the license that you already purchased.

I think we have a serious problem because you could end up deleting all of my passwords on my iMac account since they are synced.

Your data is safe! We have no way to delete your data (and we wouldn't even if we could). Your data exists on your Mac and on your iPad, and if you sync via iCloud, a copy of your data exists in your iCloud account. Any data you’ve added to 1Password will remain safe and accessible, even after the end of the trial (as you've noticed, you still have all your data in 1Password for Mac). Nothing will be deleted unless you choose to delete it yourself.

I hope this all helps to clear up the confusion! I also hope you were able to follow the steps to activate 1Password for Mac with your license. If you are still having trouble with that or have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to let us know. :)

ref: 105431

This discussion has been closed.