problem installing 1 pass on my imac help please

cornishpete
cornishpete
Community Member

I already have 1pass installed on my iphone and macbook i was trying to install it on my imac but when i downloaded it a message said it was already installed and to drag things to trash. I probably made a mess of this and now i am left with an 1pass icon in my dock which i cant delete and doesnt work and the icon in the applications folder doesnt work either how do i start again and get rid of the icon in the dock and well start again
Regards Peter

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:remove 1 password from my mac

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cornishpete,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password app on your iMac!

What exact error message do you see when you try to open the main 1Password app? It sounds like you might be getting the message described here: If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

If that's the message you get, you most likely already had a copy of 1Password somewhere on your iMac before you downloaded a new copy. This happens because of an issue in Yosemite and El Capitan which causes the operating system to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini when it finds multiple copies of the 1Password app.

The message should show you where it found the extra copies of 1Password, so you should be able to find them and drag those extra copies to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities to do that). Then empty the Trash. If it won't let you empty the Trash, please restart your Mac and try again to empty it.

...now i am left with an 1pass icon in my dock which i cant delete and doesnt work...

The icons in your Dock are just shortcuts to apps on your Mac. The 1Password icon in your Dock is probably pointing to an older version of 1Password that it can no longer find (possibly because you've deleted it). You can drag that icon out of the Dock to remove it. (Once 1Password is working again, you can drag it from the Applications folder to the Dock to add a new shortcut there.)

...and the icon in the applications folder doesnt work either

If you're still having a problem after deleting the extra copies of 1Password, what exactly happens when you double-click the 1Password app file in Applications? If you get an error message, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that and include it in your reply.

It will also help if you can let us know the exact version of the 1Password app currently in Applications. Just click once on that app and go to File > Get Info. The window that opens will show you the version number.

Looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• cornishpete
    cornishpete
    Community Member

Hi Drew-AG

Thank you very much for your very comprehensive reply which solved my problems, the key was to force quit my iMac to get rid of the icon on the dock which enabled me to close 1 password 6 and then delete it. I am now the proud possessor of a copy of 1 password 6.3.1. My problem now is to get it synced up with the data on my Macbook or iphone 6s so as i can start using it on this device, any help with this will be gratefully received

Regards Peter

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @cornishpete! I'm glad to hear the app is working correctly now. Thanks for letting us know about the extra steps you needed to take to do that.

My problem now is to get it synced up with the data on my Macbook or iphone 6s so as i can start using it on this device

How are you currently syncing your 1Password data between your MacBook and your iPhone? If you're syncing via Dropbox or iCloud (or if you have a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account), you just need to choose that same option when setting up 1Password on your iMac. We explain how that works here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

If that doesn't help, please let us know how you sync 1Password between your MacBook and iPhone, and also let us know what you see when you launch the main 1Password app on your iMac (for example, does it take you through the setup, or does it ask for a master password). Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.