Version 6.3.1 and Wifi Sync Issue

frank_det
frank_det
Community Member

Since updating my Mac this morning to 1Password version 6.3.1, Wifi Sync with my iOS devices (iPhone & iPad running 1Password ver 6.4.2) no longer successfully completes. My normal procedure: having 1Password running on my Mac and then opening 1Password app on iPhone shows the iPhone 1Password sync activity wheel spinning but it never stops and nothing is updated on the iPhone. This has only occurred since I did the 6.3.1 update. Have done basic troubleshooting, rebooted everything, double checked network -- but no joy. Any thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Wifi

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @frank_det,

I'm sorry you're having trouble syncing via Wi-Fi after the recent updates! I don't know why that would have caused a problem, but I'm sure we can help get things working again.

If you've already tried rebooting your Mac and iOS devices but still have the same problem (the sync starts but never seems to complete), you can try disabling the Wi-Fi sync option in the 1Password preferences on all three, then set it up again: Wi-Fi Sync

Does the same problem happen after setting it up again? Or do you have any trouble during the setup?

If that doesn't solve the problem, you can find additional troubleshooting suggestions here: Wi-Fi Sync is not working

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• frank_det
    frank_det
    Community Member

Drew_AG,

Thank you, I tried setting-up Wi-Fi Sync from scratch but that didn't work. What did work was trashing the 1Password 6.3.1 app from my Mac, then reinstalling it. Wi-fi Sync appears to be back to normal operation on all devices. Tough to figure the root cause of this - the 6.3.1 app itself that I reinstalled shows to be exactly the same size as the one from this morning, and it was only Wi-fi Sync exhibiting a problem. I don't know what ancillary files 1Password for OS X uses, perhaps the 6.3.1 update install this morning made a write in the agilekeychain file or something like a .plist file that caused the problem. In any event, deleting the app and reinstalling seems to have everything back to normal.

Hopefully this is "one-off" situation and no one else will report Wi-fi Sync issues on this update.
    Thanks very much.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's very strange, but I'm happy to hear you were able to solve the problem! Thanks so much for following up to let us know about that. I'm a bit perplexed about why a new copy of 1Password 6.3.1 worked correctly but the previous one didn't. But hopefully you're right, and that this was just an odd "one-off" issue. However, if you run into the same problem again (or if you need anything else), don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• frank_det
    frank_det
    Community Member

Drew_AG

Thanks very much for such prompt follow-up. As of this morning Wi-fi Sync is still working fine, so I think we can declare victory. Unless other users report the same issue, this was likely "one of those things" and we'll never know exactly what caused the glitch.

In my troubleshooting yesterday I noticed the OS X version of 1Password is architected such that one can't simply trash the current version and install a backup of a previous version of the app. (It complains with a dialog box saying the 1Password files have been updated with a newer version.) I understand doing this when the newer version is a major update from a past version, but I'm wondering if this restriction is really necessary within minor updates. It's certainly a common enough work-around tactic to move back to the most recently working (previous) version of an app if there is a bug that's causing a significant headache in the current version. Just thinking out-loud...

Once again, thanks much and love the product.

• Hi @frank_det,

Great to hear that WiFi Sync is still working, let us know if that changes.

Unfortunately there were changes to the database schema made in 6.3 that make it entirely incompatible with the older version of the app, it bit me during development as i could no longer run the release version with my data anymore. We're keenly aware of it, but unfortunately sometimes its necessary to make those changes in order to support new features.

Rudy

• frank_det
    frank_det
    Community Member

Rudy,

Ah yes, totally understandable.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.