Why there is no Option for backups to take only the 10, 25, 50 backups?

Waterkant
Waterkant
Community Member

Hello. Why there is no option for backups to limit the size and frequence for backup. I have 100 backups and the oldest ist from 2014 .. It would be nice to get more control options ..

1Password Version: 1Password 6 Version 6.3.1 (631006) AgileBits Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Hello, why there is no Option for backups to take only the 5, 10, 25, 50 backups? I search for a solution to keep only the last 25 Backups,

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Waterkant,

Thank you for writing in to ask about your 1Password backups!

Although there's currently no option to set limits for the automatic backups, the way it should work is that 1Password will create a backup every day the data has changed from the most recent backup (if you haven't made any changes since the last backup, there's no need to create a new identical backup). 1Password keeps up to 30 of the daily backups and 24 monthly backups.

Now, that should mean 1Password only keeps a total of 54 backups, deleting the oldest as new backups are created. But you said you have 100. Assuming that's not an exaggeration, there are a couple potential reasons for that. One is that if you manually trigger a new backup (by going to File > Backup, or by opening the Backup preferences and clicking Backup Now), those will be saved in addition to the 54 that it usually stores. Or, it could be that you were affected by an issue in an older version where it didn't always purge the oldest backups when creating new ones.

Either way, you're welcome to manually delete some backups if you want to. From the main 1Password app, go to 1Password > Preferences > Backup and click the Show Files button. That will open the folder containing all your 1Password backup files, and you can delete any that you feel you don't need.

Keep in mind that having extra backups won't cause any problems (unless you're limited on the amount of storage space on your Mac, of course). As one of our other team members once said, "it's better to have the backups and not need them than to need the backups and not have them." ;)

Getting back to your feature request, I can certainly let our developers know you'd like to have some options for when and how many backups are saved (although I can't make any promises about if or when something like that might be added). Thanks again for letting us know you'd be interested in that!

If you need anything else, we're here for you. :)

• dtempleton
    dtempleton
    Community Member

Sorry for a late response, I have 77 backups on my mac, and at 30 mb each they total 2.3 gb of storage. 2.3 gb is a lot for me. It's not clear why it isn't possible to store only the changed items, instead of the whole file. Also, it's not clear why the file is so big, since each record is about 80 character text files. Are all of the standard icons saved in duplicate?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dtempleton,

Thanks for your questions about backups! It's certainly not a problem to post a comment here, since your questions are very much related to the topic. :)

It's not clear why it isn't possible to store only the changed items, instead of the whole file.

The local 1Password backups (.1p4_zip files) on your Mac are snapshots of your data from a specific point in time, so you can restore it to that exact state if necessary. When you restore from one of those backups, it removes your entire, current database, and replaces it with the database from the backup. Therefore, if a backup contained only the items you recently changed, restoring from that backup would result in losing all of your data except for those recently changed items.

Also, it's not clear why the file is so big, since each record is about 80 character text files.

A .1p4_zip backup files is basically a zipped copy of your Data folder. For example, if you're using the website version of 1Password for Mac, that's the folder located here: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/

So, the size of your backup files (or at least the most recent one) are based on the size of your Data folder. The backups include all your local 1Password vaults, attachment files, and other things you see in your vaults such as Smart Folders.

Are all of the standard icons saved in duplicate?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "standard" icons. If you have the "Show Rich Icons" option enabled, the icons downloaded from our image server aren't part of the backup. But if you've added your own custom icons to any of your items, those should be included.

I have 77 backups on my mac, and at 30 mb each they total 2.3 gb of storage. 2.3 gb is a lot for me.

As I mentioned in my previous response, you can manually delete any of your 1Password backups that you feel you don't need, in order to save space on your Mac. That won't stop new backups from being created in the future, though.

There's an alternative which might be helpful in your situation, and that would be to sign up for a 1Password.com account. If you did that, your account data would be backed up on our own servers, so they wouldn't take up any space on your Mac. 1Password.com accounts also include an item history feature which allows you to view and restore previous versions of items (and even deleted items). You can read more about the benefits of 1Password accounts here: What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you have more questions about any of that, please let us know! :)

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member

Is the problem whereby old BUs weren't purged fixed?

• RickCunn
    RickCunn
    Community Member

BTW, this is a lame comment, but I just want to confirm that the backups are in fact encrypted. My HD uses File Vault and I back up to Time Machine but don't encrypt that (Knox still serves me for data to be kept confidential). And as an extra precaution I drag the 1Password backup folder to a thumb drive (also the Knox sparsebundle), which then is kept in a fireproof safe. So I am covered.

• @RickCunn,

The data inside the sqlite database is encrypted, and that database is what's inside the zip archive.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.