general venting over continued drop in quality in 1password

Options

The chrome extension stopped working reliably a few months ago. And I'm tired of spinning wheels, freezing, and needing to restart Chrome.

I can't get a desktop version to sync with my dropbox sync files. This used to be simple.

1password used to be the kind of app that I would be thrilled existed, now it's tedious to use.

Clearly I'm venting and I know I can put together a more productive support ticket, but I don't have the patience for that right now. Is agile bits investing in quality + reliability?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Is agile bits investing in quality + reliability?

@swnicholson: Always, but we're certainly not perfect. And of course any software made by imperfect people (OS, browser, app, etc.) will be imperfect as a result. However, it's our job to prevent those imperfections from impacting your workflow, and I'm sorry where we've failed in that regard :blush:

While it's hard to say for certain what's going on in your case without more information, and this particular extension issue isn't something we've heard other reports of, your description does recall some not-so-fond (memory) memories(!) of mine. Specifically, I'll tell you right off the bat that I'm a tab hoarder, so I tend to run into many browser issues that others don't.

Chrome in particular, while it was my browser of choice for a long time, is especially tough in these situations, when you've got more Windows and tabs open than you have memory. Chrome has a great security model, but a big part of that is isolated processes with their own memory for each tab and window open. This takes up a lot on its own, but each extension — 1Password or otherwise — that you have installed and enabled also adds to the chunk of RAM allocated for each tab/window.

If you have a lot (16GB or more), it takes more to fill it up, but Chrome still makes it easy, at least compared to other browsers. And if you have a more modest amount (4-8GB — less really won't cut it these days) this will happen much faster. And of course the content a given site loads will add to this as well. With scripts, video, and images, this can add up quickly. Ad blockers are helpful though, and you can also try running Chrome with less content at once to make it more responsive, both for 1Password and in general.

But that brings me to another Chrome complications: extensions. While your description sounds memory-related, other extensions you have installed and enabled may also be having a negative impact on 1Password. Ad blockers in particular sometimes interfere with (or completely block) local communications (which 1Paasword uses to connect to it) and/or JavaScript (which 1Password and other extensions are, in essence, and which 1Password also uses to fill forms). Disabling other extensions may help 1Password function properly, and also alleviate memory issues to some extent.

Not knowing more about your setup, that's some advice I can offer on where to start. Have you tried using another browser? I've found that Safari and Firefox (as well as newer alternative browsers like Vivaldi and Brave) are typically gentler on system resources — and battery life — than Chrome on the same hardware. I still use Chrome daily, but Safari is much more forgiving for my own usage.

On the other hand, without knowing which sync method you're using, however, I can't even suggest what to check first, or compare other issues I've encountered.

I totally appreciate that you're frustrated though, so take your time and get back to me with more details (OS, 1Password, and browser versions for each device, and sync method) when it's less inconvenient, and we'll get all of this sorted out! Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.