Duplicate Copy of 1Password Warning/Unable to Open 1Password Mini

jhersco
jhersco
Community Member

Frequently and only recently, I get a message that duplicate copies of 1Password were found and it could not open 1Password Mini. The duplicate being found is on a startup drive clone that I backup every other day. Thus, the duplicate of 1Password is always going to be visible. I cannot single out one application to exclude from my backup, so that is not a solution. Given that I have had this startup drive clone connected for years and 1Password never used to give me this problem, I wonder what has changed and how to work around this problem? Removing my duplicate copy of the 1Password application is not something I would want to do on a daily basis, so I’m looking for another solution. Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• jhersco
    jhersco
    Community Member

The developer of SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket) just gave me a solution: Set SuperDuper! to eject the backup drive when the backup is done. It will automatically mount, backup and eject the drive each time thereafter. That should take care of it. I'll report back here if the auto mount, auto eject feature doesn't work.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jhersco,

Thank you for writing to us and for letting us know that you've found a way around the problem! It sounds like ejecting your drive when the back up is done should work and keep 1Password from seeing several copies. Please let us know if this works as you're expecting and if there's anything else we can do for you! :chuffed:

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2016

Yes, SuperDuper will automatically mount and demount the drive. But I believe that does not work if the external drive is encrypted (File Vault or another method), though I suspect there is a way round that.

But you say you can't single out one application to exclude. In fact that is easy to do with SuperDuper, perhaps you mean that you don't want to do that.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@danco thanks for pointing that out so other SuperDuper and 1Password users can find this thread and figure out how to get everything working properly :)

• jhersco
    jhersco
    Community Member

danco: I haven't found the way to exclude a single application from a SuperDuper backup. I'll have to investigate more thoroughly. Hints accepted.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Best to refer you to the manual. There's a section on excluding a folder from a backup. But in fact the same method applies to excluding an item.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.