1Password family licence / trouble installing extension

botnik
botnik
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I purchased a 1Password family licence. There has been some delay in getting my wife to get 1Password set up on her computer, but the recent LinkedIn event helped me to get her going. We got her 1Password from the Mac App Store and when using the Mac/iOS app stores after pressing the button to buy the app we usually see a message something like "someone in your family has already purchased this app, download again for free? Yes/No" but this time we got charged $89.99 CAD plus taxes. Now I realise that I may have purchased 1Password from the AgileBits website, and the Mac App Store may not know that.

How can I refund one of these licences and get my wife and I using the same family licence?

Comments

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member

I purchased a 1Password family licence. There has been some delay in getting my wife to get 1Password set up on her computer, but the recent LinkedIn event helped me to get her going. We got her 1Password from the Mac App Store and when using the Mac/iOS app stores after pressing the button to buy the app we usually see a message something like "someone in your family has already purchased this app, download again for free? Yes/No" but this time we got charged $89.99 CAD plus taxes. Now I realise that I may have purchased 1Password from the AgileBits website, and the Mac App Store may not know that.

How can I refund one of these licences and get my wife and I using the same family licence?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
    Extension Version: 4.5.6
    OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
    Sync Type: wifi

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@botnik: Thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry for the confusion there! It does look like you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits store quite some time ago. This is problematic, because it isn't something I can refund for you at this point...and as you pointed out, it's more expensive now so that wouldn't really be adequate anyway.

Unfortunately since the Mac App Store is owned and operated by Apple, we just don't have the ability to process refunds there — or even access to purchase information in the first place. I think the best thing to to would be to contact Apple immediately and explain the situation to them. I believe their policy is "all sales are final", but perhaps they'll understand that it was an innocent mistake and be able to help.

Regarding the AgileBits Store license, I've resent that information via email, and you can just forward it to her so she can download and register the app on her Mac(s). This is a bit of a sticky situation so I'm not sure that there's much we can do under the circumstances, but please email us directly at support+licenses@agilebits.com if there's anything else we can do for you!

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member

Thanks brenty. Apple has replied saying they will refund the purchase from the Mac App Store.

On my wife's computer do we have to remove the version from the app store and download the one from the AgileBits website?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @botnik,

I'm glad to hear Apple will be able to refund your Mac App Store purchase!

On my wife's computer do we have to remove the version from the app store and download the one from the AgileBits website?

I highly recommend doing that, yes. But it's very easy to switch, and we have steps to do that here: How to switch to the version of 1Password from the AgileBits website

If you need more help with that or have any questions, just let us know. Cheers! :)

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member
    edited June 2016

Thanks Drew-AG. Here's what happened:

• My wife created a master password and entered it into the Mac App Store version of 1Password. It looks like she mis-entered it so once 1Password was restarted we couldn't get in. We tried various combinations for a while and gave up. There were 2-3 entries in the vault and I decided we can just go through the steps to change the passwords for those 2-3 accounts.

• Because we couldn't get back into 1Password, I couldn't quit 1Password and 1Password Mini, not even from the process list in Activity Monitor. I ended up just uninstalling the extension from Safari, deleting the app (Mac App Store version) from the Applications folder, and restarting the computer. Upon restart, 1Password didn't restart, so I thought I was successful.

• I downloaded 1Password from the AgileBits website and installed it. Things seem to work now (with a new vault) however now I can't get the Safari extension to install. There are no error messages -- the extension just never shows up in the Safari extensions list. Maybe there is some garbage left over from the Mac App Store version of the app. How can we get the extension installed? I have tried clearing cookies and other website data and then restarting Safari, and restarting the computer, and still can't get the extension to install.

Thanks

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member

Further to getting the Safari extension installed:

• I pulled down the 1Password menu and clicked on Licence (this is all on my wife's computer), and the box that popped up said that the licence was from the Mac App Store.
    • I used the URL emailed to me (by brenty? It starts with http://agilebits.com/licenses/download/[code]) and it installed the proper family licence.
    • Then I restarted Safari but the extension won't install. Then I restarted the computer and the extension won't install.

Thanks

• Hi @botnik ,

The extension does not check the license, so it sounds like the license was fine. It's ok if the app still says it was licensed from the Mac App Store - the old receipt is probably still on the computer and it checks that first. It's ok to leave it like that.

When you try to install the extension in Safari, do you get an error message? If so, what does it say?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member

No error message. Please see my posts above for details.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @botnik,

Even if you have remaining files on that Mac from the Mac App Store version of 1Password, that shouldn't have anything to do with the installation of the extension in a web browser. A problem like that is likely related to the browser itself, so we're a bit limited there, but there are certainly some things we can try to see if they help.

Currently, the 1Password extension for Safari can be installed from two places - our own extension download site, or the Safari Extension Gallery. If you tried our own download site but had trouble with that, you can try installing it from the Safari Extension Gallery:

• Open Safari and go to the menu for Safari > Safari Extensions...
    • If 1Password is listed at the top, click on that (if not, you can search for it in the 'Search' field).
    • Click the Install now link.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• botnik
    botnik
    Community Member

Hi Drew_AG. The extension installed properly from the extensions gallery. I was trying to do a "clean" install getting everything from the AgileBits website and didn't previously try installing via the extensions gallery.

Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

While there is a bit of lag from time to time with regard to when Apple updates the extension in the Gallery, that's actually the best place to install it from in a way, since it will also update automatically when a new version is available.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it installed. Be sure to let us know if we can be of further assistance. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.