I use my MacBook Pro all the time, can I access my 1password on my laptop? This would be useful.

gurujay
gurujay
Community Member

Can I use 1Password on my MacbookPro?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 9.11
Sync Type: ICloud
Referrer: forum-search:I use my MacBook Pro all the time, can I access my 1password on my laptop? This would be useful.

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@gurujay Absolutely! Are you an existing 1Password user? If so...

• If you purchased from the Mac App Store all you have to do is go to Purchased and then click "Install" next to the 1Password icon.
    • If you purchased from the AgileBits store all you have to do is download 1Password from our website then apply your license key.

If you aren't an existing 1Password used all you have to do is purchase 1Password from one of those stores and start using it :)

• gurujay
    gurujay
    Community Member

Thanks, but your advice is not clear. I have already bought 1Password. Do I go to the apps purchased screen in iTunes on my Mac? If not, where? If I go to this place I see the icon for the app but no install option. Highlighting the app and double clicking do nothing. The app is already downloaded onto my iPhone. It would help if you could give clear, step by step instructions, please.

• gurujay
    gurujay
    Community Member

There is a box saying "download" below the app icon but that only puts the app on iPhone etc. There is no option to"install".

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Are you using OS X El Capitan on your MacBook Pro? If so, you can find 1Password in the Mac App Store by...

1. Opening the app called "App Store." You can find it in Launchpad or by using Spotlight. It has a blue icon with a pencil and paintbrush.
    2. If you have signed in with your Apple ID, click on the tab marked "Purchased." It has an icon similar to a clothing tag above it.
    3. Scroll until you find 1Password. If you bought it from the Mac App Store in the past it will show up in that menu with an "Install" button.
    4. Click the "Install" button.

Alternatively, if you purchased 1Password for iOS but haven't purchased 1Password for Mac, you can...

1. Open the Mac App Store.
    2. Search for 1Password using the Search utility in the top-right corner.
    3. Click the button that shows the price.
    4. Enter your Apple ID.

Let me know which option works for you, then I'll walk you through getting the information synced over from 1Password for iOS :)

• gurujay
    gurujay
    Community Member

Thanks. I now understand that 1Password for Mac is a different thing to 1Password for mobile and iPad and has to be bought separately. I don't think this is made sufficiently clear. The 1Password for Mac is bought not thru the App store but direct from the Agilebit website.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gurujay,

On behalf of nmott, you're welcome! If you purchased 1Password from our store you can download it here: https://1password.com. You'll have 30 days to activate your license. Once you've installed it, you need to decide whether you want to sync 1Password via Dropbox or iCloud. There are advantages to each, the bottomline is that Dropbox is more versatile while iCloud is easier. You can take a look at the details about the syncing methods here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox. If you tell us which of these two methods you'd prefer we'll help you go through the steps to have it ready! :chuffed:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. I now understand that 1Password for Mac is a different thing to 1Password for mobile and iPad and has to be bought separately.

I'm glad we cleared this up!

I don't think this is made sufficiently clear.

Is there something we can do to make this clearer? The products are named 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Mac, and they are available through different stores (the App Store versus the AgileBits store and the Mac App Store) so I wonder what we can change :)

The 1Password for Mac is bought not thru the App store but direct from the Agilebit website.

1Password for Mac can be purchased from the AgileBits store. It can also be purchased from the Mac App Store, which is separate from but similar to the App Store on your iPhone. Which you decide to use is up to you.

This discussion has been closed.