I had a primary vault on email address and then signed up for a family account on my work email

Options
alicia_carr
alicia_carr
Community Member

I had a primary vault on a personal email address and then signed up for a family account on my work email so I could share the information from my personal computer to my work computer and keep them separate. Its working great though my account on my work computer does not give me the option to Sync in the preferences or to Wifi server or to backup... did i somehow sign up for a different ipassword ?

1Password Version: my personal is version 6.3 my family account 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alicia_carr

If you don't have the option to sync, you must be using a 1Password account. Did you sign up for 1Password Families or 1Password Teams? If so, was that your intention?

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes i signed up to families so i could share the information back and forth between accounts.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alicia_carr understood :)

In that case, you don't see a sync option because 1Password Families automatically syncs your information between devices. If you want something to be synced via 1Password Families you have to make sure it's in a vault connected to your 1Password account, like the Personal and Shared vaults that were automatically created when you signed up. Everything in those vaults is automatically made available on all your devices and backed up to our servers.

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes but its syncing to my other devices but on my other devices the primary vault is the one being backed up to icloud. The vaults that i add new information too are just on the shared vault so it will be shared between devices

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

I would like for my 1password on my work computer have a primary vault that i could then sync to my work dropbox and i would cover all my basis.. i paid the 70 dollars for the app shouldnt it have a primary vault that i can sync separately? Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alicia_carr Absolutely! Thanks again for letting me know how you want to use 1Password. You can create a new Primary vault by going to 1Password > Preferences > Advanced and checking the box next to "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts." That will ask for your Master Password. Once it's been entered you'll have a new Primary vault that you can sync via Dropbox :)

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

Ok wow.. great! But the only vault I will be able to sync is the primary vault.. and that wont be shared through my devices. there is not a way to save to all vaults correct?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

By default 1Password will save an item to one vault. But you could save items in multiple vaults by selecting the item and then clicking Item > Share > Whichever vault you want to copy to > Copy. It's a manual process but I think it'll do what you're looking for? Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Ok.. i understand.. now my very last question. When i sink that primary account to icloud and I log onto icloud i do not see an ipassword folder. How would i access the stored and synced information on icloud?

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You can view that information by connecting it to your 1Password apps by making sure they're set to allow vaults outside of your 1Password account, then setting the Primary vault to sync via iCloud. That should make the information available in the apps.

• alicia_carr
    alicia_carr
    Community Member
    Options

available in the icloud? I have already done that.. but when i log into icloud there is no 1password folder

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alicia_carr,

I apologize for the confusion here! While iCloud helps ensure that all your information is available in 1Password on all your devices, you will need the 1Password app to access your data. There is no way to log into iCloud itself and view your 1Password data there. That’s a special feature unique to the 1Password accounts for Teams and Families. :)

This discussion has been closed.