Multiple computers syncing via google drive not working

jhines
jhines
Community Member

Hi there,

I have multiple computers I'm have 1password setup on. I'm using the sync feature to keep the vault I need access to up to date. Currently I'm using a folder within google drive to store the vault file.

Using the directions you have online for the setup, I tested it on three machines with varied results. Moreover, I created a test login item on one machine and then checked the second machine (setting up the sync folder option in preferences) to see if it showed up to which it did. When I looked on the third machine it was not there so I re-setup the syncing from the system preference of that machine and did a merge but the login item still did not show up.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks for your help!
j

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OX 10.11.4
Sync Type: Google Drive

Comments

• Hi @jhines,

You are likely running into save conflicts. This happens when more than one device makes changes to a file before Google drive had a chance to sync with every device. Google doesn't know which file is the "right" one, because both have relevant changes - so it chooses one to be the "winner" and makes a copy. 1Password would need to have explicit support written to access these conflict files and figure out how to merge them. While 1Password does not support detecting and merging these conflict files, we do have something to try.

Try syncing to a local folder on your hard disk, and use a backup utility (e.g. Chronosync or similar) that syncs the local folder with a folder on Google drive and schedule it to sync often. Do this on each computer. Even then, there is still the possibility of conflict, but this can reduce the chances.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• jhines
    jhines
    Community Member

@ag_kevin,

Thank you for the suggestion. I will look into it.

Just out of curiosity, in your opinion, do you think that Dropbox might be more reliable platform to use as it general is faster at syncing?

Thanks again!
    j

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

@jhines 1Password can sync via Dropbox without requiring you to jump through any hoops, and it's able to resolve any conflicts like the one mentioned above, so Dropbox is the preferred solution :)

This discussion has been closed.