I am having trouble syncing my shared vault to dropbox. I am following the steps, but no luck

nykkris
nykkris
Community Member

I am following the steps to share my vault via dropbox and it is not working. please advise

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am having trouble syncing my shared vault to dropbox. I am following the steps, but no luck

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nykkris,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble setting up syncing. I'm sure we can get it up and ready in no time! Can you give us some more details about what's going on? Which devices do you want to sync? If you follow the steps outlined on these guides, which part do you have trouble with?

I hope to hear back from you so we can figure this out! :chuffed:

• nykkris
    nykkris
    Community Member

When I share the folder it has come up as two different items, which is correct.
    .opvault OR .agilekeychain
    files that are not working are syncing as extension files .js
    before when they were working the extension files were .txt

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nykkris,

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you mean, but I think that if we take a step back and clarify exactly what you're trying to do, the steps you're taking to do it, and what happens, that should help clear things up a bit.

I am having trouble syncing my shared vault to dropbox.
    I am following the steps to share my vault via dropbox...

Just to make sure we understand, when you say "share", do you mean you're trying to share a vault with someone else (i.e. share the vault between two different Dropbox accounts)? Or are you simply trying to sync your vault from your Mac to another device (i.e. sync 1Password between different devices using the same Dropbox account)?

If you're just trying to sync your 1Password data between your own devices, you'll need to follow the steps here: Sync with Dropbox

On the other hand, if you want to share your vault with someone else so they can access it from their own devices using their own Dropbox account, you need to sync the vault with Dropbox, and you also need to share the folder in Dropbox which contains that sync file. We explain how to do all that here: How to share a vault without 1Password Families or 1Password Teams

Depending on exactly what you're trying to do, please try going through the steps from one of the above links and let us know exactly which step isn't working as it should.

In addition to that, it will help us if you can let us know a few more details about your setup:

• What version of OS X are you running on your Mac?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • What other device(s) are you trying to sync with your 1Password vault?
    • What version of 1Password is installed on the other device(s)?
    • If you're trying to sync a vault with Dropbox, is it the first time you're trying to do that? Or are you trying to re-enable sync with an existing sync file in Dropbox?
    • Do you have multiple vaults in 1Password? If so, which is the one you're having trouble with?

Thanks in advance! :)

• nykkris
    nykkris
    Community Member

I am still having difficulty and have followed all the steps.

I am sharing my vault via dropbox for other people to have access.
    When I complete the process it is saying .optvault instead of .agilekey which it says it should say.

Not sure what I am missing. frustrated. Is there anyway to do a live chat to fix this problem I am having?

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hey @nykkris,

I just went through setting up a sharing a vault via Dropbox for the first time and my file extensions are also showing as .opvault.

It appears that .opvault is just another type of file format for handling 1Password data, you can read up more on it here:
    https://support.1password.com/opvault-overview/

The person I shared the Dropbox folder to was able to open the vault by clicking on the file in the shared Dropbox folder, and then entering the Vault Password I created for that Vault. They have been able to access the information I have added to the Vault.

It seems that the setup documentation may be out of date with regards to .agilekeychain and .opvault.

I don't quite understand what you are talking about here though;

files that are not working are syncing as extension files .js
    before when they were working the extension files were .txt

Have you been able to get this to work?

• nykkris
    nykkris
    Community Member

yea, I don't understand why my sharing is not working. Good to know you have the same .optvault

• nykkris
    nykkris
    Community Member

When I and they open shared vault folder in dropbox...
    It shows like this....
    Folder- Vault 2016.opvault
    then it opens to a sub folder - default
    click on that and then it shows - band_0.js band_1.js etc up to 10, as I have 10 passwords in the shared folder.
    Click on these and it's gibberish! nowhere does it prompt to put in master password to unlock the vault!? :(

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nykkris,

As rogerdodger explained, .opvault is another sync format used by 1Password. I'm sorry for all the confusion about that, but I think I can help to clear it up:

There are 2 different formats that 1Password uses to sync your data via Dropbox - Agile Keychain and OPVault. The Agile Keychain format is a bit older, so it's referenced more often in our online documentation. OPVault is a newer format, and newer versions of 1Password for Mac create sync data in Dropbox in the .opvault format by default. Even though our steps to share a vault via Dropbox refer to .agilekeychain sync files, the exact same steps also apply to .opvault files.

On a Mac, a .agilekeychain or .opvault will appear as a single file, but it's really a special type of folder. In fact, they will appear just like normal folders on the dropbox.com website or on a Windows PC. The files contained inside a .agilekeychain or .opvault folder represent the encrypted contents of that vault, so you won't be able to open them directly. Instead, you need to use the 1Password app to see their contents.

Once you've shared a folder containing a .agilekeychain or .opvault file with someone else via Dropbox, that person needs to add that sync file to 1Password on their computer. If they are using a Mac, they need to open the local Dropbox folder from the Finder on their Mac, find the .opvault file in the shared folder, and double-click on it. The 1Password app should open and prompt them to add that vault. Those steps are explained in a bit more detail here: Access a shared vault

Does that help? Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• nykkris
    nykkris
    Community Member

That is helpful thank you. SO the people that I am sharing my vault with need to pay for 1password as well?! I thought I could share my vault without additional purchase from my 1password account. Is that not the case?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nykkris,

You're welcome, I'm glad my information is helpful for you! It looks like there were a few changes on our support site recently, and the links I gave you in my previous replies might redirect you to different knowledgebase articles now. So I wanted to make sure I gave you the new/correct link to our steps to share a vault via Dropbox: Share a vault using Dropbox

That article now refers to the newer OPVault sync format, so it might be a bit less confusing. The steps to access a shared vault on another Mac can now be found here (part of the above link): Access a shared vault

Getting back to your questions:

SO the people that I am sharing my vault with need to pay for 1password as well?!

Well, the people you're sharing a vault with need to have 1Password installed on their device(s) in order to add the vault you share with them via Dropbox. So the short/simple answer is "Yes", but the longer/more complex answer is "It depends". I'll elaborate on the "It depends" answer:

If you bought 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store, and want to share that purchase with a family member who uses a different Apple ID on their Mac, you can set up Apple's Family Sharing option, which would allow other family members to download 1Password from the Mac App Store for no additional charge. Apple has steps to set up Family Sharing on their support site here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18977

If you bought a license for 1Password from the AgileBits Store, then it depends on when you made that purchase because there were some changes made to the way our licenses work earlier this year. But if you bought a license from our site in the past few months, that license is intended for one person (you). If you're sharing a vault with someone who isn't already using 1Password on their Mac or Windows PC, and if they're not sure they want to purchase their own license, they can try a 30 day free trial by downloading 1Password from our download site.

There's another option, which ties into my answer for your next question:

I thought I could share my vault without additional purchase from my 1password account. Is that not the case?

You don't actually have an 'account' with us unless you've signed up for a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account. Those are new services we introduced this year and have a recurring subscription fee since Teams/Families data is hosted on our own servers. Teams/Families accounts make it very easy to share vaults with other team/family members (without the use of Dropbox). Since you're using Dropbox to sync & share vaults, then you most likely purchased a license and did not sign up for a Teams/Families account.

However, if you were to sign up for 1Password Families, your subscription would cover up to 5 family members for that same subscription price. That subscription would also give the members access to the 1Password apps for supported platforms for free (future upgrades to those apps are also free). So that would not require you or the other members to purchase separate licenses.

I hope that helps, but if I've caused more confusion or you have additional questions, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.