Sync between Mac and Windows without Dropbox

skalover89
skalover89
Community Member

Hello,

I'm currently using 1Password 6 on my Mac running Yosemite and 1Password 4 for Windows. I wirelessly sync my vault to my iPod from my Mac. I was running Windows 8.1 but have just upgraded to Windows 10. My Windows vault was not kept up-to-date with the Mac for quite a while. I did back up my Windows computer before upgrading and have all the files on an external drive. I would like to copy my updated vault on my Mac to my Windows computer. I do not wish to use cloud syncing. Can I just copy the 1Password file from the Mac to my Windows computer via a USB stick and import it into a new install of 1Password? Also, I searched my Mac for an .opvault file and haven't found one. This makes me believe that I am using the agile keychain. I did find a file with .agilekeychain extension. How can I successfully convert to opvault so that I can use it both on Mac and Windows? Thank you!

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @skalover89 ,

1Password for Windows works directly from the sync file rather than syncing with an internal database. So to keep in sync with Windows the best thing to do is to set up folder sync from the Mac to the USB stick. Then when you take that USB stick to your Windows PC, and open it directly there. Here's how to do it.

1. On your Mac, go to the Help menu and choose Tools, then check "Enable OPVaultSyncing for Dropbox and Folder Sync."
    2. Go to the Preferences, click Sync, and set your vault to Folder Sync to your USB stick.
    3. Then take that USB Stick to your Windows computer and launch 1Password. Open the opvault file on your USB stick and enter your Master Password when asked.
    4. To sync, quit 1Password on windows, and take the usb stick back to your Mac. When you connect it, the Mac will automatically sync any changes.

Once you have that working, you can remove any agilekeychain files.

If you have any further questions on this, feel free to reply.

Regards,
    Kevin

• skalover89
    skalover89
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin. So does this mean that in order to use 1Password in Windows with the sync file the usb stick has to always be connected or does it copy the synced file to the computer? Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skalover89,

The USB stick will need to stay connected to the computer in order for 1Password for Windows to read it. You could copy the file from the USB stick to a local folder on your Windows PC, but that file would not stay in sync, so you would need to remember to update it with new data from the USB stick when necessary.

This discussion has been closed.