Delete "Previously used passwords"

Chuck1313
Chuck1313
Community Member

I would like to delete "Previously used passwords" from 1Password app (I have both OSX and iOS version). Is there a way I can do this?

I changed my password often and don't want the previous password stored.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX
Sync Type: Local Wifi

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Chuck1313,

To delete the ‘previously used passwords’ section, you can duplicate the item. The new item will have all the same details, but none of the previous passwords history.

Personally, I would be careful about how quickly you get rid of the previous password history though. Every now and then a password change can go awry, and I’ve found the password history to be immensely useful. :)

• Chuck1313
    Chuck1313
    Community Member

Ah, ok. I think this should be an option in Preferences. I do keep old password when I changed, but only for a few weeks at the most.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback about that! Hopefully Megan's suggestion will be helpful for you if you really want to remove the list of previously used passwords from your Login items (although keep in mind there's no harm in keeping them around). If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• 1pwdusr
    1pwdusr
    Community Member

You guys should give an option to delete previously used passwords by item, sometimes we just use the wrong ones and modify immediately and don't want to keep forever.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we can consider, but they don't take up more than a few bytes. Cheers! :)

• jnk
    jnk
    Community Member
    edited August 2017

I really think not being able to delete your previously stored passwords is a security risk to some point.

As I am new to 1Password, I didn't know that they would even get stored in the first place, so I copied a password from my Private vault to the Shared vault for my family.

Problem is, that this account had a password in the history that I have used on some other sites as well (I know, that is a security risk as well, but doesn't change the problem itself for now).
    This way some other members (or even invited guests maybe?) are able to see your password history, which should definitely be considered as security risk imo.

Knowing this, I can find a way around it by duplicating it of course, but a simple button to delete various old passwords would be a helpful and more secure feature!

Edit: Just tried the Duplicate feature, this does not seem to work as well.
    I right-click on a stored Login, click Duplicate. Then I enter a new username/password for the duplicated Login. The duplicated entry then shows the other password as well.. So there seems to be no way of really getting rid of old passwords..
    My OS is Windows 8.1, if that is relevant.

jnk

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I really think not being able to delete your previously stored passwords is a security risk to some point.

@jnk: If they are previously used, there should be no security risk in keeping them, as they would be invalid at that point...

As I am new to 1Password, I didn't know that they would even get stored in the first place, so I copied a password from my Private vault to the Shared vault for my family.

But it's good to have them there as a safety net, in case you think you changed your password for a website (or simply forgot to) but only changed it in 1Password. Without this in pace, you're then going to be locked out of that account. The previously use password gives you a way to get in in those situations.

Problem is, that this account had a password in the history that I have used on some other sites as well (I know, that is a security risk as well, but doesn't change the problem itself for now).

That's a great point. I'm just not sure what 1Password can do about that, apart from making it easier for you to save strong, unique passwords for those sites so you're no longer using a weak/reused password.

This way some other members (or even invited guests maybe?) are able to see your password history, which should definitely be considered as security risk imo.

They'll only have access to information you share with them, so the only security risk is very much within your control.

Knowing this, I can find a way around it by duplicating it of course, but a simple button to delete various old passwords would be a helpful and more secure feature!

That does seem like a chore though. I'm not sure how adding another button to delete old passwords is easier than duplicating an item. But it's certainly something we can consider for future versions. Thanks for your feedback on this!

This discussion has been closed.