How would I get the encrypted Time Machine password if my hard drive failed?

gschmidt
gschmidt
Community Member

I've saved the encryption password in 1Password for my Time Machine backups. So if/when my hard drive fails, and I have the new drive installed, and during initial set up of the new drive, one option is to restore from a Time Machine backup. But if I don't have access to my 1Password data, I wouldn't know the Time Machine encryption password to use. I don't want to write it down somewhere; that's the whole purpose of using 1Password.

I use 1Password 6 on my MacBook Pro and synch to Dropbox.

I also use 1Password on my iPad 2. But if I didn't have that device any longer, I'd have no way of knowing the password.

Thanks
Greg Schmidt

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @gschmidt ,

Thanks for taking the time to write in with your question. It's a great one.

The situation you are describing is a bit like leaving your car key locked in your house and your house key locked in your car.

So, you need either a copy of your 1Password vault or the key to your backup somewhere. You have to assess the risk of which one you store and where.

You are correct in that one of the purposes of 1Password is so you don't have to leave your passwords in written form (say, in a notebook) for all to see, think about what that risk is. This risk is mainly the "for all to see" part, not the "written form" part. In other words, don't leave the printout lying around your desk or somewhere convenient. Store it securely. Remember, this is for backup purposes, so it doesn't need to be convenient to access like actively using a paper notebook of passwords.

I have a printout with my 1Password master password, my AppleID password, and yep, you guessed it, my backup keys. But instead of leaving it lying around in my house, storing it in a safe deposit box is a better idea. Or a fireproof safe, or with someone you trust. That location is for you to decide. In fact, with our 1Password Families and Teams offerings, we encourage users to print out their "emergency kit" (containining their master password and account key) and store it in a secure place for situations like this. They can then log into their account using their emergency kit from a web browser. As long as the printout is stored securely, the risk of someone else accessing it is very very low.

But if printing something out does not sit with well you, and you are concerned that your iPad will not be available when you need it, there's always the possibility of storing a copy of your 1Password data on a USB stick. The only caveat here is that you'd need to find a machine to install 1Password on, and get the backup key before restoring from a backup. But that's certainly possible.

Sorry for the length, but it can be summarized as you need a place where you can access that key or your 1Password data. You will need to decide if that means keeping a readable copy of your backup key somewhere or leaving a backup of your 1Password data somewhere.

I hope this helps. Please reply if you have further questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• gschmidt
    gschmidt
    Community Member

Thank you Kevin. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback. I just read the announcement on the discontinuation of 1Password AnyWhere which would be a good solution too. I never could get that to work.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're very welcome! Please do let us know if you have more questions about that or need anything else - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.