Information needed for "external" person (e.g. lawyer) to access account

Options
kross76
kross76
Community Member

I'm a long term 1password app user along with my wife. We've given our lawyer the admin password along with our dropbox password in order for him to be able to get our data off of the web in worst case scenarios. It's not 100% clear to me what information an external person would need to access our stuff using 1p for families? Just our admin password? Account key? Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Kinny
    Kinny
    Community Member
    Options

@kross76:

In the case of 1Password, I believe you could simply add your lawyer as a guest.

Quoting the page: “Securely sharing with people outside your family is easy! Invite them as Guests by clicking the blue button. Guests can only belong to one vault at a time, and they don’t have their own vault or access to the Shared vault.”

You can access this page by going into the Admin Console, then clicking Guests (third item from the left in the top nav bar).

With regards to your Dropbox, it’s probably not wise to share the password unless you’ve created an account specifically for this purpose. Alternatives would be to share a folder and pass your lawyer the link to the respective folders.

Hope this helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kross76: Kinny is right on. Guests are a great way to invite someone with limited access, and two are included in the base price of 1Password Families (though you can always pay for more). Ultimately though it depends on what you want them to have access to.

If you're talking about going them everything in the event of your death, then you might consider giving them a copy of your Emergency Kit for such an event.

However, it's best to compartmentalize if you can, creating a vault expressly for the purpose of sharing specific information with them, whether you're using 1Password Families or the standalone 1Password app syncing with Dropbox.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.