I bought a new iMac yesterday. Downloaded 1PW6 from website and can't get it registered.

HIAndychief
HIAndychief
Community Member

After downloading 1PW6 from the website, prompt asked for my vault location in Dropbox. I answered that and entered my password and it doesn't work. I verified my password does work on 1PW6 Pro and on my other iMac. I found my license and tried to manually sign in but keep getting asked for account key. I found initial email with account key but that's invalid.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Installing 1PW6 on new iMac not working

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HIAndychief,

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty setting up 1Password on a new Mac! I'm sure we can help to figure out what's going wrong and get things back on track.

After downloading 1PW6 from the website, prompt asked for my vault location in Dropbox. I answered that and entered my password and it doesn't work.

Can you please confirm you followed the steps here: Use existing 1Password data on a new computer

If you followed those steps and chose a vault from Dropbox, the 1Password app should have shown the normal lock screen where it asks for your master password, like on your other Mac. Did it all work as expected up to that point, but then wouldn't accept your master password?

I verified my password does work on 1PW6 Pro and on my other iMac.

Can you clarify what you mean by "1PW6 Pro"? The reason I ask is because there's no "Pro" version of the 1Password for Mac app. Are you using 1Password 6 on an iOS device and have unlocked the Pro features? (This isn't directly related to the problem, but it's helpful for us to know what versions of 1Password you're using, and on what devices.)

I found my license and tried to manually sign in but keep getting asked for account key. I found initial email with account key but that's invalid.

If you're seeing the term "account key" then it sounds like you're trying to sign into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account. Those are subscription services you would have needed to sign up for separately - if you don't have a Teams/Families account, you won't be able to sign into one.

Now, I see that you purchased a license for 1Password for Mac last fall - if so, the initial email you received probably refers to a "license" or "license key". Is that what you entered when asked for an account key? If so, I'm sorry for the confusion about that - an account key and a license key are two very different things. We'll try to make that clearer in the future!

Once we hear back from you about my questions above, we'll be able to get into some troubleshooting. Thanks in advance! :)

• HIAndychief
    HIAndychief
    Community Member

Aloha Drew, thanks for the quick response!

I did follow the steps in the link you provided. My password wasn't accepted.

My mention of 1PW6 Pro - I was able to login to 1PW on my other iMac and on my iPhone...had the wrong name for the iOS version!

You are correct...I have a license key. When I tried to sign in manually, it asked for an Account Key...which I don't have.

Thanks...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Aloha @HIAndychief!

Thanks for confirming all that. The first thing I'd like you to do is check the sync settings on each Mac:

On your older Mac (where your master password works):

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure it shows your Primary vault is set to sync with Dropbox. (If it doesn't show Dropbox, what do you see there instead?)
    • Assuming Dropbox is selected, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

On your new Mac:

• Follow the exact same steps as above. (Even if you can't unlock the app, you'll still be able to check the sync settings.)
    • Compare the file name & path of the sync file in Dropbox on the new Mac to the older Mac.

Are both Macs pointing to the exact same sync file in the exact same location in Dropbox? If it turns out you have multiple sync files in Dropbox, and one Mac is syncing with a different sync file than the other Mac, that likely explains the problem. In that case, let us know and we'll explain how to reset 1Password on the new Mac so you can start over and sync with the correct file.

On the other hand, if both are syncing with the same file in Dropbox, but the same master password only works on the older Mac, please take a look at the tips on our support site here: https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-password

Do any of those suggestions help? Let us know how it all goes, thanks! :)

• HIAndychief
    HIAndychief
    Community Member

On older iMac - Dropbox is the sync location.

1Password Preferences on new iMac grayed out.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @HIAndychief! I forgot that if you weren't able to complete the setup because the sync file in Dropbox wouldn't accept your master password, you won't be able to open the Preferences window (which is why it's grayed out in the 1Password menu). Sorry about that, I hope I didn't cause too much confusion!

After checking the sync settings on your older Mac, what I should have suggested was to make sure you're choosing that exact same sync file from the Dropbox folder on your new Mac when trying to complete the setup. If for some reason you have multiple sync files in Dropbox, you might be selecting the wrong one.

If you're positive you're selecting the correct one on the new Mac but it won't accept your master password, please make sure you try the tips from the knowledgebase article I suggested in my last reply: https://support.1password.com/master-password/#recover-your-password

If you try those but your master password still isn't accepted on the new Mac, please let us know and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• HIAndychief
    HIAndychief
    Community Member

Drew,

I only have one file in Dropbox...I verified that. I'll go to the link above and let you know.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good, let us know how it all goes :)

• HIAndychief
    HIAndychief
    Community Member

So I changed the master password and everything works now. Not sure why, but the good news is that it's working!

Thanks for your help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HIAndychief,

I'm glad to hear it's been sorted out! On behalf of Drew_AG, you're very welcome! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.