Pre-sales 1pass 6 upgrade questions about wi-fi server and syncing

stirfry2112
stirfry2112
Community Member

Hello,

I have been a proud user of 1password since I purchased version 3, but felt like it was about time to possibly upgrade. I've been playing around with the demo version and there are just 2 features I am excited and confused about.

1. Wi-Fi Server - What I want to do is create a new vault that has only a few passwords in it for use on my iPhone 5. I know 1password is secure, but I still don't like having a lot of passwords on my phone, especially when I only use 5 or 6. So, I created an iPhone only vault, copied the passwords form my main vault and turn on Wi-Fi server. It works perfectly, except that it requires that I share my Primary vault as well, which holds way to much sensitive information I would not want on my phone in case of loss or theft. Is there a workaround for only sharing my tiny iPhone vault with my phone?

2. Mac only vault sharing - Is there a way to share a non-primary vault between 3 local macs. I don't want any cloud syncing (like dropbox) since all these computers are at home and don't need to be mobile. Is the only way to copy the vault file from computer to computer is manual via file sharing? If so, should I shut down the app before transferring the file when new passwords are saved on the main computer? I know 1password families is an option, but I would like to avoid yet another monthly charge.

Any feedback is much appreciated as I continue to debate upgrading.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: local wi-fi

Comments

• Hi @stirfry2112,

Thanks for being a long time user!

For the Wi-Fi Server you could switch the roles of the vaults, and have the "Primary" vault be the one that has the 5 or 6 items in it and the second vault have all the other password items in it. Under 1Password 6 on the mac you'd normally have/interact with the "All Vaults" "vault" which would show you all the passwords from both the Primary and any secondary vaults you have configured.

For the mac only vault sharing, you'd likely want to choose the folder sync option and copy that opvault file over to the other machines each time you make a change or otherwise make it available to them over File Sharing. You wouldn't need to shut down the app on the main computer as the passwords aren't exclusively stored in that file, they're saved there as an intermediary between copies of 1Password. When you make a change, the change is written to the database and then to the opvault.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Rudy

• stirfry2112
    stirfry2112
    Community Member

Thanks so much Rudy, I love the new improvements to 1Password over the years and it seems like a great value to upgrade now! I will continue to play with the vaults and sharing per your instructions and see if I hit any more questions. Very excited. Thanks so much.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stirfry2112,

On behalf of rudy you're very welcome! I'm glad to hear that you enjoy 1Password and everything new in it! Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions, we're always here to help! :chuffed:

• stirfry2112
    stirfry2112
    Community Member

I did run into one new question as I am trying to upgrade one of our older computers. It seems that the latest 1Password 6 is not compatible with OS 10.9 (I downloaded the demo and the app has a Ghostbusters cross over it). Would I be able to still utilize wifi file sync by using 1Password 4.4.3 and would our upgrade license work on the older version? I wish we could just upgrade our OS on the older computer but we have important discontinued software that will not run on newer OS.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@stirfry2112,

It seems that the latest 1Password 6 is not compatible with OS 10.9

That's correct. The last version of 1Password that we made available for OS X Mavericks was 4.4.3. You can get it from the bottom of the Downloads page in the Legacy section:

https://agilebits.com/downloads#legacy_versions

(I downloaded the demo and the app has a Ghostbusters cross over it).

It took me a second to figure out what Ghostbusters had to do with this, but I realized it as soon as I did an image search. LOL

Would I be able to still utilize wifi file sync by using 1Password 4.4.3 and would our upgrade license work on the older version? I wish we could just upgrade our OS on the older computer but we have important discontinued software that will not run on newer OS.

I think Wi-Fi Sync should work between any Mac and iOS device running 1Password 4 or later. We made a big change when going from v3 to v4, but from v4 on I believe it should be compatible. Let us know if you are having any trouble.

This discussion has been closed.