when prompted to update, getting an alert about deleting a prior version, which I can't locate

eric_chilton
eric_chilton
Community Member

We’ve found more than one copy of 1Password on your Mac. Please remove the extra copies before updating.

1. Move the copies of 1Password listed below to the Trash.
  2. Empty the Trash.
  3. Click “Continue Update” to proceed with the update.

• /Users/Dad/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/1Password 4 405002/1Password 4.app

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:when prompted to update, getting an alert about deleting a prior version

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hey @eric_chilton,

Have you seen this thread on what seems to be a similar issue?
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/44368/error-message-suggesting-i-have-multiple-copies-of-1password-on-my-computer

Do any of the suggestions there help?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It's a strange place for the 1PW to be.

But the 1PW error message stated exactly where it is. The question is whether you are the user named Dad or not? If you are it's easy to go to the location and delete it. If not, can Dad log in, that would be the best.

There's one standard problem. That location is deep inside Dad's own Library folder, and this is invisible by default. To get to it, eith Dad logged in, use the Go menu in the Finder. Press the Option (Alt) key while in the Go menu and the Library folder will become available.

• eric_chilton
    eric_chilton
    Community Member

danco, U DA MAN(?)! Never knew how to access the Library folder. Sure enough, there was 1PW4 hanging out! Deleted the file, checked for updates and voila!, no earlier versions found! Updated w/o issue. Thx so much!

I should also say thanks to rogerdodger for weighing in!

• Glad to hear you found it. If you have any trouble in the future, let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.