Can multiple people use same computer? The extension and 1P app seem to support only one user...

Options

Can multiple people use same computer? The extension and 1P app seem to support only one user. For instance, I installed the 1P extension and app (Mac OSX), and 1P works with my master pw. But if my wife clicks on the browser extension (or the 1P app, for that matter), it prompts for MY master pw (it doesn't accept her pw), and there seems to be no way to let a different user id log in...as if the user ID is baked into the 1P software. There must be a way for multiple users to use the same computer, right? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:personal vault

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can multiple people use same computer? The extension and 1P app seem to support only one user. For instance, I installed the 1P extension and app (Mac OSX), and 1P works with my master pw. But if my wife clicks on the browser extension (or the 1P app, for that matter), it prompts for MY master pw (it doesn't accept her pw), and there seems to be no way to let a different user id log in...as if the user ID is baked into the 1P software. There must be a way for multiple users to use the same computer, right? Thanks.

@noyb5000: 1Password is a single user app, which on its face seems limiting. Fortunately, OS X is a multi-user operating system. Each individual app doesn't need to reinvent the wheel since you can create as many user accounts on your Mac as you want, so that each person can have their own setup for both 1Password and all other apps. I hope this helps! :)

• noyb5000
    noyb5000
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @brenty. As you suggest, each family member has their own user login to Mac OS X. And I've tested that each person's 1P app (and extension) recognizes each individual family member's 1P email & PW. (I thought that wouldn't work, since the O/S is sharing a single instance of the 1P app, but I guess it stores multiple users files...). Anyway, that will work. Thanks again for writing @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Any time! I'm glad that helped. We're here if you need anything else! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.