3 copies detected during update.

Hammer99
Hammer99
Community Member

This is normal for both of my MAC computers. I perform a nightly, automatic, clone on each computer plus the mac saves every hour. Each is a different hard drive connected via usb. The program asks me to send the other two copies to the trash which would not be good for my systems should the program actually attempt to delete and send to the trash.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:3

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It is quite easy to exclude the program from the backups.

The data is kept separately from the program and should of course remain included in the backup. But the program itself can always be downloaded again if necessary, or you could keep a zipped copy and include that in the backups.

As far as the update itself is concerned, there is no problem you can just "Upgrade Anyway". The problem is that due to a bug in Apple's launchd process, there is a possibility that having more than one copy can cause trouble later. On the other hand, many of us have never experienced an issue, and you could always just go ahead and note that you might some day be unlucky.

• Hi @Hammer99 ,

danco offers good advice here. The issue that could happen usually happens right after the upgrade when the copy on your Mac is version 6.3.1, for example, but OS X launches 1Password mini from your backup that is still version 6.3.

Excluding 1Password from the backup is one method. Another is, depending on if the backup software you use is capable, is to mount the backup drive before the backup, perform the backup, then unmount the drive. Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, Chronosync all allow running scripts before and after backups that allow for this.

If you have any further questions on this, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Bowlie
    Bowlie
    Community Member

Hi, I CLONE my hard drive each night using Carbon Copy Cloner. That gives me a complete alternative should my HD ever fail (and they all do eventually) . I don't want a Clone that excludes anything. I want to be up in running in a couple of minutes and not have to faff around reinstalling stuff.

I don't want to exclude 1Password from my Clone. I don't want to unmount/mount every evening.

This is much too complicated. I'm tempted to dump all of my 1Password copies in the trash and use something else less complicated.

• Bowlie
    Bowlie
    Community Member

Just to add. This is not a BACKUP it is a CLONE! C'est ne pas la même chose!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Bowlie,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the trouble you're having, and I'm sorry for any confusion about all this. Now, you didn't specifically describe the problem you're running into, but if it's the same as the OP, you're trying to install an update to 1Password but it gives you a message saying it found extra copies of 1Password.

If that's the problem, the solution doesn't need to be complicated at all: Do you normally have trouble opening the main 1Password app on your Mac? If not, and if you don't want to delete or exclude the app from your cloned hard drive, just click the Update Anyway button in the message. Easy, n'est-ce pas? ;)

I do apologize if the update warning caused some confusion for you. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the update, and as I mentioned above, you can choose to continue with the update even if you don't remove the extra copies of 1Password. The reason we show that warning during an update is because there's an issue in Yosemite and El Capitan in which the operating system tries to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini if it finds multiple copies of the main app. When that happens, 1Password can't be opened and gives an error message.

This issue is something that must be addressed by Apple on the OS level, so unfortunately we have no control over that. All we're able to do is warn users in advance that they should remove extra copies to make sure they don't run into that problem. However, the problem is a bit random, so some customers don't experience it at all. That's why we included the Update Anyway button.

This is not a BACKUP it is a CLONE! C'est ne pas la même chose!

You're right, a backup and a clone aren't quite the same thing, and they can be used for different purposes. However, that doesn't matter because the problem I described above can happen regardless of whether the extra copies of 1Password are found on a backup drive, a clone drive, or even your main hard drive.

I hope this helps to clear things up a bit! But if you have more questions about that, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.