Do old versions of data get deleted upon app update?

opticon
opticon
Community Member

Do old versions of data files get deleted upon app update?

By this I'm meaning to ask, do the older versions of user password files from previously insecure versions of 1password get overwritten or removed?
Did the files that you used to be able to read even with a simple text editor get deleted from iCloud also in earlier versions as you update the app? I remember opening up a file once in the old iCloud and being able to read all the data that wasn't *'d in the password app. Did these auto delete upon app update? For security reasons I hope they did. Anyone know? If there are any files still hanging around id like to know where so I can delete them.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• opticon
    opticon
    Community Member

I'm on a Mac btw :)

• Hi @opticon,

I believe you're referring to the old agilekeychain sync format. The agilekeychain format had the URLs and titles of your login items readable. Usernames, passwords, and the rest of your data was always encrypted.

Since switching to CloudKit, everything, including URLs and item titles, are encrypted. In fact, the data stored on CloudKit is similar to our newer opvault format.

To check whether you still have old 1Password sync data on iCloud, go the Finder, open a window and click on iCloud Drive in the sidebar. Look for any agilekeychain files there. If you see any, you can delete them.

I hope that helps. If you have any questions, feel free to reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• opticon
    opticon
    Community Member

Hi @ag_kevin,

Thank you for this, you are correct on all accounts. I have nothing in that area, so everything must be secure and has been deleted.

Thank you!

• Glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.