Lost 1Password on my MB Air

ejdavies
ejdavies
Community Member

I received a message a couple of months ago when attempting to open 1Password on my desktop (Mac mini). The message stated that 1Password was damaged. I went to the App Store and re-downloaded 1Password. I then attempted to re-open 1Password and happily there were no problems. When I went to my MacBook Air the same drill happened with "damaged" message when I tried to open 1Password. Except this time I used an app called AppCleaner to uninstall 1Password. When I went to the App Store I didn't see the download icon, What I did see was that it would cost me $99 to reinstall 1Password. This was very upsetting particularly because it was caused by my own error. Is there anyway I can get 1Password re-installed on my MB Air without having to pay $99? I have been a happy user for a long time so your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Let's say there is no way getting around having to pay $99 … if I download 1Password will I have a way of syncing this "new" app across all my devices?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ejdavies,

I'm sorry you've been running into these problems! It sounds like there are a couple different issues here, but we'll do our best to help you get this all sorted out.

First, the error message you described is related to a certificate issue in the Mac App Store which has affected various apps (not just 1Password). Although that's not the immediate problem you need help with, I wanted to let you know you can find more information (and steps to solve it if it happens again) here: Mac App Store: App damaged / prompted for Apple ID

If the steps there don't help, we often suggest deleting and reinstalling the 1Password app, which you've done - but we always recommend that you don't use any app cleaning tools when deleting the main 1Password app, as they might also delete your data along with the app (your data is stored separately from the 1Password app file). I don't know if that's what happened in your case, but even if it did, that shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not you're able to re-download 1Password from the Mac App Store.

The apps you purchase from the Mac App Store are automatically registered to your Apple ID, so you shouldn't have to re-purchase it again from there. You just need to make sure you're signed into the Mac App Store with the same Apple ID you had used to purchase 1Password. When you launch the Mac App Store, the Store menu should show which Apple ID you're signed into. If you're signed into the correct Apple ID, go to the Purchased tab and look for 1Password in your list of purchased apps. If you see it there, you should be able to click an Install button next to it.

If you don't see 1Password in the Purchased section, try signing out of your Apple ID (go to the Store menu and select Sign Out). Then try signing back in again. Does 1Password then appear in your list of purchased apps?

Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• ejdavies
    ejdavies
    Community Member

Everything worked out terrifically well. I was able to restore 1Password after following your suggestions. Thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news @ejdavies! I'm glad to hear it all worked out. Once you reinstalled 1Password, was your data still there? I'm guessing it was, but if you need additional help with that (or if you need anything else), please be sure to let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.