1Password6 for iMac - cannot add old dropbox vault

jamlindell
jamlindell
Community Member

I just bought a new iMac. Downloaded Dropbox and then 1Password (free trial...no place to download just s/w it would seem). Opened 1Password - managed to connect to newly started Families account - but failed to add existing vault on Dropbox. Tried all guidelines - they all said open Preferences - go to tab Sync and find it - but I have no tab called sync in my Preferences. What to do please?

1Password Version: 1Password6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:imac 1password 6 menu

Comments

• jamlindell
    jamlindell
    Community Member

Btw: 1Pwd version is 6.3.1

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jamlindell,

Sorry for the confusion! When you setup 1Password by signing into a Families account, the app is in "Families-only mode" and doesn't show the options that only apply to local vaults (such as the Sync tab in Preferences). What you'll need to do is create a new local/Primary vault, and then you'll be able to sync that vault with your sync file from Dropbox. To do that:

• Open the main 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Advanced tab.
    • Enable the option for "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts".
    • Enter the master password for your Families account and click Create Primary Vault.

That will create a Primary vault which is separate from your Families account. You should now be able to go to Preferences > Sync and enable Dropbox sync for your Primary vault (make sure you choose the existing sync file from within your Dropbox folder).

Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• jamlindell
    jamlindell
    Community Member

Thanks Drew, this worked. As this is a rather non-intuitive method perhaps you want to add it to the help function, or mention this where you present how to migrate licensed versions to accounts. Thanks though!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jamlindell,

On behalf of Drew, you're welcome! I'll pass your comment to our documentation team to make this easier in the future! Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.