If I change Master Password on my Mac how do I change it on other devices?

Novice
Novice
Community Member

My Master Password is too long. I want to change it. I use 1Password on my Mac, iPhone, and Macbooks. If I change the Master Password on my Mac how do I change it on the other devices, or will the change automatically apply to them

1Password Version: 6.3.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:Change Master Log-in password

Comments

• rogerdodger
    rogerdodger
    Community Member

Hey @Novice,

When you change you Master Password it will update your Primary Vault which is syncing over iCloud. The Master Password should sync to all the other devices.

However, there have been cases where the new Master Password does not update across to the other devices. If that happens you will log into them with the old Master Password and then manually change them to the new Master Password. If this happens and you want to know why here is one explanation:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/151697/#Comment_151697

Does that help?

• Novice
    Novice
    Community Member

Sounds good to me. Thanks.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

While the new master password does sync to the other devices (unless something goes wrong), there is a slight catch in the procedure.

You need to use the old password at least once (because it can't use the new one until it has received it, and so must use the old one to sync and receive the new one). And the next time the new password will work and so will the old password. The old password will stop working as soon as you use the new one.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Novice,

It looks like you've received some good advice by danco and rogerdodger on how to deal with this. I would like to point out that a long master password is often more secure and better for your passwords. While you're in search for your new Master Password, remember that you can use 1Password generator to create a strong Diceware password to keep everything secure!

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.