I have 2 windows v.10 machines and and iMac and a MacBook. Please tell me what to buy.

Options
charlestonwvguy
charlestonwvguy
Community Member

I am coming from a years and years user of Roboform. I have Roboform installed on all 4 machines and it works flawlessly on the PC's....the Mac's....not so much. But they do sync well. I am ready to make the move over to 1Password. But, I am totally confused as to which to buy.... the 1Password or 1Password Families. Price isn't an issue....but buying the right one is. In other words, I don't care if I pay monthly or the one time thing. I just want what is best for my environment of sorts.

I have tried installing something or another on both the Mac and PC's ...but it's a mess. I'm disappointed that you don't have a clear cut answer on here for someone like me. I'm actually pretty tech savvy so this makes it more frustrating. In other words, I'm the person that has spent hours trying to figure it out on my own as opposed to doing this. Please.... give me a simple solution or two.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have 2 windows 10 machines and and iMac and a MacBook. Please tell me what to buy.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlestonwvguy ,

I'm so sorry to hear that researching 1Password so far has been a bit frustrating for you. I'd be happy to help answer your questions!

There are currently 2 ways to use 1Password:

Purchase licenses for the 1Password apps themselves

This option gives you full control over how your data is synced between your devices, and includes all in-version updates of the apps. You can buy a license for 1Password (that includes both Mac and Windows) on the AgileBits Store. Licenses are sold on a per-user basis.

This option includes licenses for all the apps (including the Pro features of our Android and iOS apps), simple set-up and sharing, web access and all app updates. Your 1Password Families subscription includes up to 5 users, and you can sign up for a free 30-day trial to check out all the features at families.1password.com.

I just want what is best for my environment of sorts.

Now, what is 'best' for your environment really comes down to your preference. In either case, you'll have access to 1Password on your Mac and Windows machines. (I do feel the need to point out that for the time being, our Windows app is currently in beta, so there are a few things that might not work perfectly just yet, but our developers are working hard to get the app ready for stable release!) But the apps will be the same whether you choose to purchase a license or sign up for an account. The difference comes in how you set up the 1Password apps:

• If you use a 1Password account through 1Password Families (or 1Password Teams), you'll sign in to your account to view your data.
    • If you choose to purchase a 1Password license, you'll skip the account step and set up your first local vault.

Do you have family members that you anticipate sharing data with? One of the strengths of 1Password Families is the simplicity of setting up the app on family members computers and devices. By signing into their 1Password account, they'll have access to all of their data, with no need to manually add shared vaults.

Do you prefer to handle the syncing of your data yourself? Purchasing a license for the 1Password apps will allow you to control your data in this manner.

I hope this helps to explain a bit about the differences between using 1Password with an account or simply using the apps to create your own vaults. If you let us know a bit more about your goals here and what is important to you, we'd be happy to advise you further. :)

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for that very clear explanation. It helps quite a bit. One thing I don't understand on the Windows side. I downloaded 1Password 4....and when I try to log in for the first time, it's asking for a place on my hard drive. On the Mac side, on 1Password 6, it uses: https://charlestonwvguy.1password.com. So, I'm assuming somehow I'm on the Family platform on Windows and the original platform on my Mac? I'm still unsure when I want, but, I want to make sure I have the same platforms...and I downloaded from your site, so I don't know what I did wrong. And, I'm usually able to figure things like this out pretty easily. Frustrated right now but I know once I figure this out, I'm going to love your product.

Do you understand my problem and how to fixit?

Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

HI @charlestonwvguy ,

Aha, I see where the trouble is coming in! You did nothing wrong, and I apologize that we were not more clear on our site.

1Password 4 for Windows is not compatible with 1Password Families at this time, which is why you're being asked to find a local vault on your drive instead of to sign in to your 1Password account.

To use a 1Password Families account on Windows, you'll want to check out our new 1Password for Windows beta (you can read more about it on our blog).

I hope this clears things up. And I really appreciate your patience here - don't worry, we'll work with you until everything is working seamlessly!

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay....I'm getting there. As for my Mac's....the 1Password 6 works for both Families and the original type of account you guys had?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@charlestonwvguy,

Yep! Although before 1Password Families there was no "account" per se. If you don't have a family account, you just sync it yourself using iCloud or Dropbox.

1Password Families is nicer for many reasons, and syncing is one of them. You don't need to set anything up. If you get a new Mac, simply sign in to your 1Password account, and all your data will be there. If you have shared vaults with others, they will be there too. :)

I hope that helps. Don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers!

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay...I just reinstalled 1Password 4 for my PC. It's already set up on my Mac's. When I went to log in on the PC, I picked option 2 - "I already have an account." But, when I log in, it's asking me where the data is located and I know where to direct it to.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @charlestonwvguy,

Glad to hear you've made some progress setting up 1Password on some of your computers! But to help you answer the "where is your data" question, I'll need to know: are you using a Families account, or just the standalone apps?

It sounds like you are maybe not using a Families account and therefore you'll need to choose a sync method. For users of Mac and Windows computers, we recommend Dropbox for easy cross-platform sync. (iCloud sync is not currently supported on Windows.)

If Dropbox sync sounds good to you (and you're not using a 1Password Families account), then you'll first need to set up Dropbox sync on your Macs. This will add an encrypted sync file of your 1Password data to your Dropbox, so you can then choose Dropbox when your PC asks you where your data is.

Please let us know if you are in fact using a Families account, or if you have already set up sync between your Macs, or if you have any other questions we can help with. :)

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

Goodness sakes...Right when I think I have it. On my Mac... my sign in address is: https://charlestonwvguy.1password.com. But, when I installed 1PW on my pc, it didn't give me the option of inputting that. I want to run on Families, I'm pretty sure. What do I need to do at this point?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi @charlestonwvguy,

Thanks for clarifying that you are in fact using a Families account. Very helpful to know. :+1:

1Password 4 for Windows doesn't support Families. As Megan mentioned earlier, that requires the new 1Password 6 for Windows which is currently in public beta. Beta means it's still a work in progress, but it does support Families accounts and will only get better in the coming months. :)

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

GOT IT running....Beta 6. Thanks. One last question. I imported my RoboForm data into 1PW 4 on windows. Is there anyway at all to transfer that over to version 6? I've looked around and can't seem to find an import option.

• charlestonwvguy
    charlestonwvguy
    Community Member
    Options

Okay....I figured it out myself. I imported it into 6. :) Thanks to each of you for your help today ! Hugs.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So glad you got it all worked out, @charlestonwvguy! Thanks for sharing your success with us. Big hugs back atcha! :) Have a terrific weekend, and don't forget we're always here if you need us.

This discussion has been closed.