My 1password data went back to a year old after upgrading to 6.3.1

moniz
moniz
Community Member

My 1password browser was extremely slow esp. on 1password mini. I updated my 1password to 6.3.1 on on my iMac. Now the logins, creadit card information and every bit of data is seems what it was a year ago.

Any one else has this issue and how to resolve that.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:My 1password valut now went back a year old

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @moniz,

I'm sorry you're seeing much older data in 1Password after installing the update! I'm sure we can figure this out one way or another.

Installing an updated version of the 1Password app shouldn't change your data at all, so it's very strange that something like this would happen. But I do have a theory about why you might be seeing an older set of data:

Is it at all possible that you have the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed at the same time on your Mac? If so, that most likely explains the problem, because each of those keeps a separate database on your Mac. For example, if you originally tried the AgileBits Store version of 1Password but then switched to the Mac App Store version at some point, your latest data would be in the Mac App Store version - but the older data from the AgileBits Store version would still be on your Mac, so if you downloaded the AgileBits Store version again and opened it, it would still show the older data.

If you go to the Applications folder on your Mac, do you see two 1Password app files in there? If you see one named "1Password.app", that's the Mac App Store version. If you see another one with a number in the name, like "1Password 6.app" or "1Password 5.app", that's the AgileBits Store version. Try opening them one at a time - which one has your latest data, and which has the old data? (If you only see one 1Password app in Applications, you can try using Spotlight to search for "1Password" on your Mac to see if a second one is located somewhere else.)

If you find two 1Password apps and one of them has all your latest data, you can quit the one with the old data and drag that copy of the app to the Trash (then empty the Trash and reboot your Mac). But if you can't find two 1Password apps (or if you do but aren't sure which is which), please let us know. Thanks!

• moniz
    moniz
    Community Member

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Yes it turns out my original purchase was directly from AileBits and when i upgrade i did through Apple app store. That leaves me 2 questions. If i did not purchase 1password via apple app store why it down load the app with out asking to pay? And how do i upgrade my 1password to 6.3.1.

moniz

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @moniz,

I'm glad my theory helped figure out why you were seeing the old data! It sounds like you were able to find all your latest data in the other version of 1Password?

If i did not purchase 1password via apple app store why it down load the app with out asking to pay?

Actually, that shouldn't be possible - 1Password can only be downloaded from the Mac App Store if you've purchased it. Apps purchased from the Mac App Store are tied to your Apple ID, which allows you to re-download it from there in the future as long as you're signed in with that same Apple ID. Are you sure you didn't previously purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store at some point?

And how do i upgrade my 1password to 6.3.1.

If you have the Mac App Store version installed, just launch the Mac App Store and go to the Updates section. If an update for 1Password is available, it will be shown there.

We also explain how updates work here: How to keep 1Password up to date

If you have any trouble installing the update, just let us know what happens. :)

• moniz
    moniz
    Community Member

OK,
    I have on my application folder "1password" and also "1password 6". I belive first one belongs to Mac purchased and 2nd belongs to AgileBits. When i try to log in 1password 6 (AgileBits) it asks me 4 items .
    1. Sign-in Address.
    2. 2. Account Key.
    3. Email address
    4. Password.

I don't have any Account key so i don't know how to get the key. I would like to have only one version and prefer to have Mac App store version. How do i have all update information saved to Mac version.

Thanks

moniz

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@moniz,

I have on my application folder "1password" and also "1password 6". I belive first one belongs to Mac purchased and 2nd belongs to AgileBits.

That's correct. 1Password is the copy from the Mac App Store. 1Password 6 is the copy from our website.

It sounds like you clicked a button to sign in to a family or team account. If you don't have a family or team account, you won't have a sign-in address or Account Key. Does it look something like this?

If so, you can click "Welcome to 1Password" to go back to the welcome screen where you can choose a different option.

However, what happens if you open the 1Password app instead? Is all your data there? Or is that where you are seeing old data?

We may need to get a Diagnostics Report from you in order to best assist you. However, it may be pretty easy to get it sorted it out without that if you are able to access all your most recent data by opening the other 1Password app. :)

Let me know!

This discussion has been closed.