Matching Logins to a local server on DHCP (wildcards in URL)

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi,

I've read through several discussions similar to this, but I believe this may be a different case.

I have a local NAS that I regularly access. It is assigned an IP through a DHCP router. So the address I use to access it varies.

One day it could be http://10.0.1.11:8080 and the next it could be http://10.0.1.15:8080.

I end up having the scan my network every few weeks because a reset router or some other event rotated the IP and then change the URL to match in 1Password. Is there a way to avoid this other than including every possible IP in the URLs list? (My goal is to be able to autofill the password without having to change the URL each time).

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.3.1 Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Families. Teams, iCloud, Dropbox, and Folder

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@jonanscher ,

You should give your server a static lease in your DHCP configuration. That way, it will get the same IP each time. Alternatively, you can assign it a static IP, outside the range of your DHCP server's lease pool.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jonanscher,

Thanks for taking the time to ask about this.

My suggestion would be to simply assign a static IP to your NAS. That will make things easier for both you and 1Password. ;)

But it would be nice to have wildcard support for domain matching. I'll add your vote for that in a future version. :+1:

If we can be of further assistance in the meantime, please let us know. We are always here to help.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I'm not sure whether I can assign a static lease in my DHCP configuration. Or maybe I just don't know how. I probably should assign it a static IP. But both of those honestly require just a bit more understanding of networks and DHCP than I have. That won't stop me from trying though :-P.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@jonanscher,

Which router do you have (vendor, model)?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@jonanscher, the trick is to assign a static IP in the NAS configuration itself. Don't worry about the router. Just be sure to assign the static IP outside of the DHCP range.

For example, my AirPort Time Capsule defaults to:

In my case, I could configure my NAS to use a static IP of 10.0.1.201. So you shouldn't have to configure anything on your router. You just need to know its DHCP range and configure your NAS to use an IP outside of that. Does that make sense?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

But he has to get into the router to check the range anyway, so there's not avoiding getting a little wet.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! You just don't need to change anything on the router (unless it has an overzealous DHCP range).

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Yeah, I was able to re-assign the IP in the NAS. I don't think I have anyway to assign the IP from the router. I have an Apple Airport Extreme (the most recent model), and as you said, the range is set to 1-200.

I'm not afraid of getting wet, I just tend to mess things up in my effort to get things right when it comes to network related things. (For instance, I just left the Subnet Mask where it was defaulted to in the manual settings, hoping that would be fine, and assumed that the default host would be ..*.1). This wasn't nearly as bad when I was having to switch from 10.0.1 to 192.168.1 and back to troubleshoot another network device working. That was 5 hours of my life where I thought I'd hosed my entire network :-P.

But it does seem to be working now.

Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

:+1:

Wildcards will be nice if we implement them, but I'm glad you were able to get it sorted out with a static IP. You'll probably like that better in the long run anyway. :)

@mrc, I don't think a reservation is necessary as long as the IP is outside the DHCP range. And I don't know if I want to make @jonanscher try to find the MAC address for the NAS. He's been through enough! LOL

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Actually, the MAC address is easy, I have a scanning tool that gives me the IPs and ports of all my devices, and I've pretty much identified everything on my network. Man that was hard though, with all my web of things devices. I can see how routers may need the ability to go beyond the 1-255 range of IPs somewhere in the future.

But thanks for sharing that about registrations.one of these days, I really just need to sit down and learn more about networking.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hey @jonanscher ,

You can discover mac addresses in a variety of ways. Command line tool example

$ arp -n 192.168.1.10
    ? (192.168.1.10) at 0:22:4d:7f:df:c3 on en0 ifscope [ethernet]

The network range you chose, 192.168.1.XX is by default an old Class C private local network - which provides for 24 bits for the network address and only 8 bits for the host. That's 255 addresses. The 10.xx.xx.xx range is the opposite - a private class A network with 8 bits of network, and 24 bits of host address, so there are 2^24 host addresses (16777216 addresses). Since your 192.168.1 address range is private (doesn't get routed onto the WAN), you can actually use parts of the network address for the host address. But you have to change your netmask to do this, and tell all your devices.

One reason I suggest using DHCP with reserved leases is that you don't have to worry about all the details such as netmask, DNS server configuration, and router address. Rather, you configure the router, and it takes care of the rest. Then, when you change routers, or networks, you only have to configure it, and not a bunch of separate machines. It is better to manage IP addresses in one location, rather than use the old-school method of changing each device.

Here are some quick slides on networking basics I did for a course years ago.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I'm not using 192.168.1.*. I just had to switch to that in order to capture and reassign a network connected device once. But I use 10.0.1.* still.

Thanks for those slides!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jonanscher: Ah, gotcha. Another thing I wanted to mention as a fellow AirPort owner is that I find it's super handy to save the current configuration using the AirPort Utility app. That way if I make a stupid change I can always restore the previous settings rather than having to manually undo what I've done. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.