Primary vault and app store purchase...

Lennard
Lennard
Community Member

Why don't my wife have a primary vault? Here App is purchased in app Store for 75USD. We have family vault. That is the only one she can see.... I can see my primary and the family vault.

We are confused, what didt the 75USD go to? What will we pay for family vault?

Regards,
/// Lennard

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why don't my wife have a primary vault. App i purchased in app Store for 75 dollars. We have famili

Comments

• kylerphillips
    kylerphillips
    Community Member

Hi @Lennard

When 1Password was first set up on the Mac you've installed it on, were you prompted to select a sync method? It could be that you've selected or opened vaults from a Dropbox account on the mac? Are you able to check what vaults you have synced by going to Preferences > Sync - there you should be able to see any Synced 1Password Vaults and the methods they are using.

Your wife should be able to create a Primary Vault by selecting 1Password in the top menu bar and selecting new Vault:

• Select a Vault Name
    • Type Master Password
    • Confirm the Master Password

If necessary you should then be able to select a Sync method should you choose to, that may be Dropbox, iCloud (if one isn't already present - which could be called Family), or just in a Folder somewhere on your Mac.

Let me know how it goes!

• Hi @Lennard ,

I'm sorry for the confusion here. It sounds like you have both signed into your 1Password Families account, but you have created a separate Primary vault for yourself. Your wife doesn't need to have a Primary vault, but it does sound like she purchased 1Password without needing to.

When you have a 1Password Families account, the client apps are free from our web store. But we are unable to selectively charge for the app on the Mac App Store. I recommend your wife request a refund.

We don’t have the ability to refund App Store purchases. Only Apple can issue you a refund. You can request a refund for any app on the App Store by following this process:

1. Go to Apple's problem reports page: http://reportaproblem.apple.com/
    2. Login with your Apple ID user name and password.
    3. Select the apps tab.
    4. Find the 1Password for Mac app.
    5. Select Report a Problem to the right of the purchase.
    6. In the description say you are requesting a refund because you purchased it by mistake.

Note that requesting the refund of an app purchase from Apple may prevent you from buying that app (or any in-app purchases) in the future, but since you have a Families account, that shouldn't be an issue.

Now, your wife can download 1Password for free our web site. To do this have her do the following:
    1. Trash 1Password.app in the Applications folder.
    2. Download 1Password for Mac from https://agilebits.com/downloads
    3. Unzip the download and copy "1Password 6.app" to the Applications folder and launch it. On the first screen, in the upper right, it should find "1Password from the Mac App Store" - click this and click "Use Selected Data"

This should get your wife's installation working fine.

Just to avoid confusion and keep things separate. I will post again, regarding your Primary vault.

Regards,
    Kevin

• ag_kevin
    edited June 2016

Hello again @Lennard ,

Regarding your Primary vault. The Primary vault is a "local only" vault. It is not part of your 1Password for Families account, so anything in there will not automatically sync with your 1Password for Families account. If you do not need this vault and want to get rid of it, then here's what I recommend:

1. Switch to your Primary vault.
    2. Select all items in the vault.
    3. Choose "Share > One of your Families Vaults > Move" - this will move everything from the Primary vault into your Families account.
    4. Check to make sure that has finished. When it has, open the 1Password preferences, click on Advanced, and uncheck "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". It will ask for your Master Password. If that Master Password is different from your 1Password families account, then it will ask for your Families account password next. Note that if your Master Password was different from your Families account password, your Families account password will become your new Master Password after this has finished.

If you wish to keep your Primary vault, then you do not need to do anything.

Note that I mentioned earlier that the 1Password apps are free when you subscribe to 1Password Families. If you have just purchased the app as well and plan on continuing to use 1Password Families, then you will need to request a refund as well. If you purchased it from us, and not the Mac App Store, let us know, and we can issue the refund.

I hope this clears up any confusions. Please reply if you need further assistance.

One more tip that you may wish to consider. With Families accounts, we typically recommend that both spouses be made a "Family Organizer". This allows both spouses to be able to recover passwords for the other and administer vaults if need be. If you wish to do this, you can log into your account with a web browser, go to "Admin console" and select Members, your wife, and then change the Role in the popup menu.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.