Do we need 2 purchases for Desktop and iOS ?

Newboyman
Newboyman
Community Member

I did purchase 1Password a while ago (used on Mac and iOS) and as I am happy with it, I would like to purchase it again but for my son.

I am a little bit lost with the offering.
1- He would like to use it on his Mac and iOS device (like myself). Could you pls confirm that by buying the Desktop version on your store he will also be able to use it with the Pro features on iOS without additional cost ?
2- What is the difference between the purchase on the AppStore and your own store, I assume that this is equivalent and that it might be more “convenient” for you on your own store :-)

PS: I am not a big fan of the family option due to the Cloud storage that I want to avoid.

Thks in advance.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ejstone25
    ejstone25
    Community Member

As it reads on https://1password.com/pricing, a single-user license purchase for $64.99 includes the desktop app only and not the Pro Features of the iOS app. Also, the iOS app can only be purchased from the iTunes Store as Apple (under normal circumstances) doesn't allow the installation of software on iOS devices from sources other than the iTunes Store.

Did you know that your son could take advantage of your purchase of Pro Features in the iOS app? All he needs to do is the following:

1. On his iOS device, have him sign out of his Apple ID from Settings > iTunes & App Store and sign in using your Apple ID.
    2. Open the App Store and download 1Password for iOS.
    3. Open 1Password for iOS and tap Settings > Pro Features and tap Restore Purchase.
    4. On his iOS device, have him sign out of your Apple ID from Settings > iTunes & App Store and sign in using his Apple ID.

(Note: Any time an update to the 1Password for iOS app is available to download from the App Store, he'll need to type in your password in order to download it.)

If you'd rather not go through the hassle of those steps, then you have 2 options: (a) pay the extra $10 to unlock Pro Features on his iOS device, or (b) consider 1Password for Families as it does include Pro Features for iOS devices and is certainly a more cost-effective option once you consider that it includes free upgrades for as long as you remain a subscriber. Plus 5 members of the family can take advantage of the software at no additional charge.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Newboyman,

I'm glad to hear you enjoy using 1Password and want to share it with your son! I'll be glad to help you figure out the best way for you two to use 1Password :chuffed:

1- He would like to use it on his Mac and iOS device (like myself). Could you pls confirm that by buying the Desktop version on your store he will also be able to use it with the Pro features on iOS without additional cost ?

The standalone desktop license of 1Password is valid for Mac and Windows, but not for mobile devices. While the workaround that @ejstone25 suggested would technically work, it would be quite annoying and not an ideal solution. He can always try the free basic version of 1Password for iOS, he might realise that it's enough!

2- What is the difference between the purchase on the AppStore and your own store, I assume that this is equivalent and that it might be more “convenient” for you on your own store :-)

Both ways of purchasing 1Password will give you full functionality on the Mac apps, however there are a couple of things that can make AgileBits store version bit more convenient. If he ever gets a Windows computer he'll be able to install 1Password and apply the license right away. Betas can only be enabled with the AgileBits store version. Some people who have the AppStore version of 1Password have had to deal with this issue.

I am not a big fan of the family option due to the Cloud storage that I want to avoid.

While I completely understand this stance, I'd like to mention a couple of things, just in case you don't know them already. From a security point of view your data is only ever unencrypted on your device. Besides your Master Password, on Families you have an Account Key. You need both of them to be able to decrypt your data and neither of them is ever send over the internet. From an availability point of view, even if your data is stored on our servers it remains available in your device even when you don't have an internet connection, so you wouldn't be locked out of it. If you'd like to know some more about 1Password Families let me know and I'll be glad to help you!

Please let us know if there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.