Simple Introduction for new family members

Options
365nice
365nice
Community Member

Hi - is there a simple introductory article that I can point new family members to, to get them up to speed with 1P families?

I can see some web-reviews of the software (most are a bit dated), and there is your blog post introducing it (kind of) - but I was really looking for something easy to read that gives an overview, and also introduces how to use it from a novice perspective. E.g. how to install and use the apps on Mac, iOS etc. as well as the web page (why might you use that), and also covering why you print out your key details (and where to put them).

I think a lot of the pieces are lying around, but not in a single place that I can email to my dad to get him on track?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @365nice,

I think right now the two best resources for your dad would be the 1Password Families page on 1Password.com and the 1Password Families and 1Password Teams section in our knowledge base. Much of that is written with 1Password Teams in mind, as we started development there first, but a lot of it also applies to 1Password Families.

We also have the quests to walk people through how to get the most out of 1Password Families (downloading the apps, printing the Emergency Kit, etc.) to get people up to speed. That might not be as comprehensive as you like, but I think the links above cover a lot of it :)

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    Options

Tip for AgileBits: you might want to hire MacSparky (David Sparks from Mac Power Users) to do some videos.

Check out his website if you want to see some of the videos that he has done for other A-players, but I'm pretty sure you know him and the quality he provides.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - while those links have some of the bits I was referring to, they don't really handhold someone through the thought process of what they are getting into. It's not a gentle introduction that eases someone into what is actually pretty easy once you know how.

At the moment, a user gets an invitation link but not the - "here's what you need to know to get started and the journey you will embark on". I think many people like to read a bit first before they take the scary option of clicking on the "start" bit.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@365nice Do you mind telling me exactly what you would like to see here? I'm trying to think of a scenario in which I would invite someone to 1Password Families without explaining to them why, and I'm coming up blank. I could see this for 1Password Teams -- "I'm afraid to ask my IT guy why we have to use this password manager" -- but I don't foresee a similar interaction with 1Password Families.

Which isn't to say that it couldn't happen! It's just hard for me to place myself in a position like that, especially since I control who's invited to this account, and thus am responsible for making sure they understand why I want them to use this thing and how they can do it :)

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

Hi - bit late replying on this, but I hit it again with another family user wondering what this was all about. I am thinking something more tutorial style that walks you through things in a friendlier/chattier style. As a starting point - I now see some useful stuff on your support pages, and https://support.1password.com/teams-families-setup/ is a close starting point. I would like to see something about picking your password and the importance of your account key and saving it somewhere etc (I recall you talking about this in a white paper somewhere). Then, thinking about someone with say an iPhone, the iOS section starts out ok, but then links to https://support.1password.com/guides/ios/ which is very sparse (I'd like it inline for someone to keep reading) - in particular showing the usecase of creating a password or using the login extension which is kind of there but rather broken up on separate pages).

I also wasn't sure where it talks about the different kinds of vaults - your personal one vs. where you might find shared items. Again I would want that inline in a single tutorial article that my family members can easily digest and get excited about.

The current experience is a disjoint and lacks the training wheels in my opinion.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @365nice,

Thanks so much for your feedback here! Our documentation team has been working hard to build a database of articles and videos that help users get acquainted with 1Password (whether they’re using our 1Password Teams and 1Password Families accounts or using the standalone licenses) and it’s great to know where we could be doing better.

I’ll make sure that our docs team sees your suggestions. :)

This discussion has been closed.