Browser app keyboard navigation

Options
Juha Kaunisto
Juha Kaunisto
Community Member

The browser app for families/team is a good start, but there's one clear omission that would improve it drastically: keyboard navigation.

Currently when you search for a password there's no way of opening the details without clicking on the entry in the list not to mention copying the password. Instead, if you search for something and press tab (which would normally/ideally activate the first entry in the list) and press enter (which would open the active entry in the list) it toggles the current entry's favorite status as the invisible focus is apparently on the "favorites" checkbox. Not good.

Any plans on improving this?

Juha Kaunisto

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Juha Kaunisto thanks for the feedback! We do have some keyboard shortcuts available on 1Password.com:

⌘+I - Create New Item (Show category options)
    ⇧+⌘+I - Create New Item (Use current category)
    ⌘+E - Edit Item
    ⌘+S - Save Item
    ⌘+D - Duplicate Item
    ⇧+⌘+C - Copy Password (Login/Password items only)
    ⌘+Delete - Move Item to Trash
    ⇧+⌘+Delete - Empty Trash (Must be in trash section)
    ⌘+F - Search
    ⌘+(0-9) - Vault Switching

If you aren't using a Mac, Control can be used instead of Command for any of them.

But this is indeed something we're improving as we go :)

• Juha Kaunisto
    Juha Kaunisto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, those help a bit. However, I think keyboard navigation would be more important than the shortcuts, without it it's pretty much impossible to search for a login, select it from a list and copy the password. And as there's no autofill for Chromebooks, that's the basic process for every login.

Juha

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Juha Kaunisto thanks for clarifying! I've passed your feedback along :+1: :)

ref: B5-550

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Juha Kaunisto: Can you be more specific? For example, what sort of navigation would you expect? I can't promise anything (especially since a lot depends on the browser), but if we do add more advanced keyboard navigation, you might have something completely different in mind apart from what we'd come up with. ;)

• Juha Kaunisto
    Juha Kaunisto
    Community Member
    Options

You probably need to track the active item with a custom code anyway, so browser incompatibilities aren't as much of an issue with that. Just keep track of which object is active and set the focus (or CSS) accordingly.

Anyway, a quick draft of what I'd expect from the opening of the window to copying of the login information:
    0) Open the app to the last active view, not the homepage - this would be the all vaults view for me
    1) When the vault view opens, set focus on search (this is done already, yay! ;) )
    2) When user inputs the search term, filter the list (done as well!)
    3) User presses the tab key, which highlights the first item on the list
    4) Next, the detail contents are opened on the right, either...
    4.1) ...automatically whenever an item is highlighted on the list or...
    4.2) ...only after the user has pressed the enter key
    ----> I think the correct one would be to emulate native app behaviour, which I can't test right now as I'm on Chromebook.
    4) When the item is active on the list and its details are shown, user presses tab which highlights the detail fields one by one
    ----> I think the correct behaviour here would be emulating the native app as well
    5) When a field is highlighted on the right, user presses enter which copies the field contents to clipboard and shows "Copied!" message

As for handling going back in the process, the escape key would be the logical one for me at least. So when the detail view is open, esc would set the focus on the list item.

Juha

• Juha Kaunisto
    Juha Kaunisto
    Community Member
    Options

After looking at how web apps like Spotify and Google Maps work, few additions:

Step 3: arrow down should also move the focus to the first item on the list, but only if the cursor is in the end of the input
    Step 4: it seems that common web app conventions would favor the first option (4.1)

Juha

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Juha Kaunisto thank you for the detailed feedback! I've passed it along :)

ref: B5-1756

This discussion has been closed.