Teams/Families: Are attachments planned for a future version?

Options
matthiasmoier
matthiasmoier
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Families

Hi there. I'm a 1Password user (and huge fan) since many years. I wanted to give 1Password Team & Families (for both, office and private) a shot, but the fact that attachments are converted to documents is currently a show stopper for migrating the existing vaults to 1Password "online" for me (as well as the team in the office).

To me (and everyone else from our development team who I've discussed this topic during the last couple of days) an attachment is something that really belongs to the item that it is attached to. It's actually something in addition to that information/item (that is, why we attach it to the item). Where as a linked item in comparison is something that relates to something else.

Maybe a real life example/comparison helps to understand: We work with JIRA as our issue tracker. Let's say we have an issue there, let's call it "1PASS-123". Now, if I want to clarify something in that issue, I might attach a screenshot or a video or the like to it. So far, so good. Let's say we have another issue (1PASS-456), that relates to the first issue. What we do now, is that we link these two items, since they relate to each other (but are both individual issues/items). Ok… now let's assume that both of these issues have 2 files attached to them. With the 1Password Teams/Families approach, we would end up with 6 linked issues – instead of just having 2 linked issues with 2 attachments each.

An example that was mentioned in some of the other support topics was the one with the software license. I have a couple of items in 1PW that have some license files attached to them. These attachments do not make sense by their own and I would never create a separate document in 1PW just for these additional info. Instead, attaching it to the software license item in 1PW is the only option that makes sense. (Plus – we usually attach the receipt and/or order confirmation to software items which we create in 1PW. Again – creating a document just for a PDF of said confirmation does not really make sense.)

Same goes for encryption keys. Those really belong together and should be attached to the item they belong to… and not be split into two separate documents. (They are neither "documents" nor two items which should be treated separately.)

Don't get me wrong – I really like the document item type. And I think it's a great addition (which I would love to see in the 1PW for Mac app, btw ;) ). But never the less, removing attachments from items and creating separate documents for each of them when migrating to 1Password Teams/Families seems like a very, very bad idea to me.

I'm aware that there are many similar topics in the forum, but none of them seemed to tackle my question: Do you plan to introduce attachments (in the same way as they are available in the Mac App) in 1Password Teams & Families? (Like – is this a topic that you are discussing internally?)

I think this is a feature that a lot of your customers would love to have (back). :)

1Password Version: 6.3 AgileBits Store (+ newest iOS)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@digitalCULT thank you for the comprehensive feedback! This is something we've talked about as we've developed 1Password Families and 1Password Teams. I like the flexibility of documents, others prefer the direct nature of attachments, and I hear even others have decided to believe that the butterfly effect means everything is interconnected so we don't need to have either. (I'm just kidding on one of those. I'll leave it up to interpretation which one.) I don't know if or when this might change, but it's definitely being considered :)

ref: B5-211 , OPM-4097 , OPM-4096 , OPM-4098

• matthiasmoier
    matthiasmoier
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the clarification, @nmott .

I like the flexibility of documents, others prefer the direct nature of attachments, (…)

So it was you who is responsible for that? Just kidding ;)

As I said, I really like the document item type. But still, attachments are really a great feature that I/we use often. My suggestion (read: "Feature Request") would be to have both (documents and attachments).

Until then, using 1Password Teams/Families unfortunately seems not to be an option to sync existing 1Password items, at least not for our team. (I might never the less start using 1Password Families for new stuff and/or items without attachments.)

Thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you very much for the clarification, @nmott .
    So it was you who is responsible for that? Just kidding ;)

@digitalCULT: lol ouch! :lol:

As I said, I really like the document item type. But still, attachments are really a great feature that I/we use often. My suggestion (read: "Feature Request") would be to have both (documents and attachments).

It's something we'll consider. We just need to be careful about doing something like that. If it isn't handled well, it could be really confusing to have both — even more confusing than the difference between attachments and documents. ;)

Until then, using 1Password Teams/Families unfortunately seems not to be an option to sync existing 1Password items, at least not for our team. (I might never the less start using 1Password Families for new stuff and/or items without attachments.) Thanks again.

Thanks for the feedback! While we tend to add files directly to bug reports (as opposed to referencing a 1Password document or item with attachment), you make some good points. There are some cases that work better for one or the other. We'll see if there's a better way of doing this in the future.

This discussion has been closed.